You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tvOS 13 is not finding HomeKit running on iOS 12

Bought a preowned TV 4K. It was finding my HomeKit running on iPhone 6, iOS 12 (latest). To get rid of prior owner's config did a reset/update. Now on tvOS 13 but it no longer lists my HomeKit. Am guessing prior version was tvOS 12. Is there a compatibility issue? I've done a ton of resets and restarts and also rebuilt my Home app all with no luck. Also, I see there is no way to downgrade from 13 to 12.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 10:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 6:00 PM

Called Apple Support. The problem was that the AirPlay 2 support was not activated. To get that activated, had to navigate to AirPlay and HomeKit then click on Room. That brought up a screen on tvOS prompting to activate BlueTooth on my iPhone. It took some work [1] to get that screen to go away, i.e. for the iOS to tvOS BT connection to occur but eventually the BT prompt screen did go away and then my HomeKit hub was shown on the AirPlay and HomeKit screen. It took another half hour or so for the iOS HomeKit app to connect, i.e. for HOME HUBS to appear on the Home app's screen which appears when you tap the house icon and for something other than a help screen to show up when pressing the Automation button.

[1] I don't remember exactly what magic finally worked. I think it was closing out and restarting the Settings and Home apps.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2020 6:00 PM in response to ptbtx

Called Apple Support. The problem was that the AirPlay 2 support was not activated. To get that activated, had to navigate to AirPlay and HomeKit then click on Room. That brought up a screen on tvOS prompting to activate BlueTooth on my iPhone. It took some work [1] to get that screen to go away, i.e. for the iOS to tvOS BT connection to occur but eventually the BT prompt screen did go away and then my HomeKit hub was shown on the AirPlay and HomeKit screen. It took another half hour or so for the iOS HomeKit app to connect, i.e. for HOME HUBS to appear on the Home app's screen which appears when you tap the house icon and for something other than a help screen to show up when pressing the Automation button.

[1] I don't remember exactly what magic finally worked. I think it was closing out and restarting the Settings and Home apps.

tvOS 13 is not finding HomeKit running on iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.