Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

factory reset on 2012 MacBook pro

I'm trying to factory reset my MacBook pro , trying to reinstall OS X EL Capitan, got to part that asks me to "Select the disk where you want to install OS X, no drop down menu? any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 8:08 PM

If you have don't have any options for the install, then you may need to either repair the drive using Disk Utility or you may need to first erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) before you select the "Reinstall macOS" option in the installer. You will need to be booted from Recovery Mode or from a bootable macOS USB installer. Keep in mind that erasing the drive means all data on the drive will be destroyed so make sure to have a good verified working backup first.

If this doesn't work, then your computer's boot drive may have failed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 8:08 PM in response to grpmilne

If you have don't have any options for the install, then you may need to either repair the drive using Disk Utility or you may need to first erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) before you select the "Reinstall macOS" option in the installer. You will need to be booted from Recovery Mode or from a bootable macOS USB installer. Keep in mind that erasing the drive means all data on the drive will be destroyed so make sure to have a good verified working backup first.

If this doesn't work, then your computer's boot drive may have failed.

factory reset on 2012 MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.