Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting MacBook Pro 2015

I want to reset my macbook pro 2015 because i bought a new one. I erased the disk and all but when I go to dowload OS X again, the part that says select disk it doest have options.

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 6:11 PM

An APFS Volume can not be used to install Yosemite.

To install an older MacOS, you must select the DRIVE (not just the volume) by its immutable Hardware-name and ERASE it completely. Create new Volume of type MacOS Extended, which should be the default for an older MacOS.

2 replies

Aug 4, 2020 6:15 PM in response to KatherineMatos

While booted into Recovery Mode launch Disk Utility and select the physical drive from the left pane. On right side select the "Partition" tab. Select "1 partition" in the drop-down list. Click on the "Option" or "Advanced" button and verify that the partition type is "GUID" and click "Ok/Apply". Back at the previous screen make sure "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" file system is selected and provide the volume a name such as the macOS default "Macintosh HD". Now click "Apply" which will repartition and erase the drive suitable for the installer.

If you are presented with two physical internal "physical" drives, then you will have to see which one is actually real. I just encountered this double "physical" drive when booting an older version of macOS to erase a Mojave/Catalina drive.

Quit Disk Utility and select "Reinstall OSX/macOS".

If you still cannot see a valid destination for the install, then launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following command:

diskutil  list

Resetting MacBook Pro 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.