Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switched on ICloud photo and now I get exclamation mark and triangle on MacBook from photos off my phone that were on the iCloud

Hi,

I have recently switched on iCloud photo to sync my MacBook Library and my phone photo library on both devices.

Since switching it on, all my MacBook photos have uploaded to the cloud and I can see them all on my phone fine. My MacBook downloaded all the photos off the cloud that were on my phone but these photos seem to have an issue. I can see the thumbnail fine but when I press spacebar or double click to enlarge I get a triangle and exclamation mark on the screen rather than the photo.

can anyone help ?

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 7:07 AM

Is the system version shown below your question still valid? "MacBook, OS X 10.11"?

If you are still using macOS 10.11 El Capitan, your Mac may not be able to use the iPhone Photos, if the camera of your iPhone is set to use the High Efficiency format. The Mac needs to be updated at least to macOS 10.12 Sierra, if the photos are in the High Efficiency format. You can see the format in the filename extension of the photos in the Info panel. Is the extension .heic?

You can convert .heic images, if you export them from Photos with "File > Export > Export unmodified original. Then upload them to https://heictojpg.com. or install a heir converter.

You can change the settings on the iPhone for the camera, so that new images will be taken in a more compatible format.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 7:07 AM in response to tonei11

Is the system version shown below your question still valid? "MacBook, OS X 10.11"?

If you are still using macOS 10.11 El Capitan, your Mac may not be able to use the iPhone Photos, if the camera of your iPhone is set to use the High Efficiency format. The Mac needs to be updated at least to macOS 10.12 Sierra, if the photos are in the High Efficiency format. You can see the format in the filename extension of the photos in the Info panel. Is the extension .heic?

You can convert .heic images, if you export them from Photos with "File > Export > Export unmodified original. Then upload them to https://heictojpg.com. or install a heir converter.

You can change the settings on the iPhone for the camera, so that new images will be taken in a more compatible format.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Switched on ICloud photo and now I get exclamation mark and triangle on MacBook from photos off my phone that were on the iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.