Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstallling macos

I'm having some issues with freezes and not waking from sleep (or at least not waking up beyond a black screen with a cursor) and I've tried resetting SMC and NVRAM, tried booting into Recovery and running First Aid on the disk, tried booting into Safe Mode.  Tried uninstalling some things I thought might be the problem.  Nothing is fixing it.

So I was going to reinstall MacOS.  What I'm wondering is, I know you can do an erase and install or one where you keep your files.  I'd like to try the latter.  What else does it keep when it does this reinstall?  Do I lose all the installed apps?  Does it keep all the users?  What exactly does this reinstall do?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 4:08 AM

Have you tried this https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204760

5 replies

Jun 7, 2020 9:13 AM in response to Prabjots07

The only thing I see that pertains to my iMac that I haven't tried was this:

• Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.

I'll look into that the next time it happens. It doesn't happen every time. But maybe once every day or so.

Jun 12, 2020 7:30 PM in response to Prabjots07

So the machine went 3 days without locking up or failing to fully wake from sleep after the reinstall of MacOS. So I decided to reattached one of my external hard drives that morning. Came home that afternoon and had the freeze up happen again. I managed to SSH into the iMac and do a graceful reboot and detached the drive. Haven't had an issue since. The drive is 4 years old so I'm thinking it might be the beginning of a failure. Plus, it's USB 2 and my 2017 iMac 27" has USB 3 so it feels like a good opportunity to update anyway.

That said, has anyone else here had external drives cause wake from sleep problems before?

Reinstallling macos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.