Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering Photo Library on iMac to an external hard drive - Problem

I successfully copied my photo library to a new external hard drive, but it appears to have copied an earlier version. About a month's worth of new photos are missing even though the library is the same size as the old one (314 GB). When I switch Photos back to the original photo library all the recent photos and albums are there. What is going on? Could this be a permissions problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 6:49 AM

8 replies

Jun 8, 2020 9:46 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you all for responding. I didn't supply enough information. I am trying to switch my Photoslibrary to an external drive to free up space on my hard drive. I have a 2019 21.5" iMac running Catalina 10.15.4 with a 1 TB Fusion hard drive. I already have it 85% full. I bought a Western Digital "My Passport" 4 TB external hard drive that comes formatted for Mac. I believe it uses Apple System Format System with the MAC OS Extended (Journaled) formatting. I opened a separate window in my finder and dragged the existing Photolibrary (from Pictures in the finder) to the Passport. Previously I tried successfully to drag and drop individual jpg photos and pdf documents to the drive and I was able to access those files.

The transfer took close to two hours. I was using the supplied USB-C cable hooked up to the MAC. When I tried to open the transferred library I got a dialog box: "the Photo library is locked or you do not have permission to make changes to it. Photos can try to repair the permissions" - "Quit" or "Repair". I chose "Repair". Went from 0 to 100%. Then dialog box: Photos was unable to open library "Photolibrary.photoslibrary". Then "Quit" or "Open other". I chose "Open Other". This led me to a choice between the original library or the new library. I chose the new library and I got "Operation cannot be completed".

When I went to the Photos app and hit the "Option key" as I was opening the app, I was able to switch to the new library. However, that's when I noticed that the new library did not include any changes made in the last month and a half. So, I figured why not just add the missing photos and go on? However, when I try to drag and drop new photos to the new library I get an error message "The operation cannot be completed because an unexpected error occurred. Error-50", with the button "OK".

If any of you have a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Transfering Photo Library on iMac to an external hard drive - Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.