Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message - This Connection Is Not Private using Safari

Hi,

I am getting the screen showing This Connection Is Not Private for a few days now when visiting

a few websites

I am using Safari on a 2009 Macbook Pro with operating system El Capitan

This is not a message I have had before and it doesn't appear if I switch to Chrome for those websites

I have deleted all the History and Website data and Cache

I have also run a full scan using Sophos Home and no threats were found

I have also Shutdown the pc and back on

I have checked the date and time and its ok

I don't have any extra 3rd party anti virus software (except Sophos loaded today to scan if a virus present)

None of the above have made any difference

I don't want to TRUST the certificates as the websites showing the message are sensitive

Would be great to hear some ideas on what has suddenly caused this to happen

Thanks

Brian

MacBook Pro 17″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 11:44 AM

Are using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 11:44 AM in response to Dodds9876

Are using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Jun 7, 2020 3:21 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your reply Eric

No I'm not using a VPN

I set up another admin user account and the same problem continued

I switched to safe mode and the same problem continued

? Does this mean I should or not run the Etrecheck

One other bit of info which is probably irrelevant - The problem doesn't occur on a spare laptop using the same websites

Jun 7, 2020 7:17 PM in response to Dodds9876

Is the spare laptop running El Capitan?

It may not help, but try running/posting the Etrecheck report in your normal account. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Jun 7, 2020 11:58 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes the spare pc is mid 2009 and running El Captain

Just thought I would add some info on the websites that fail

Examples are

My golf club - https://www.perranporthgolfclub.co.uk

My energy supply company - https://www.avroenergy.co.uk

The government savings website https://www.nsandi.com (the main screen comes up ok but then fails when hitting the login)

I will have a go at running the Etrecheck report when I return home this evening

Jun 8, 2020 12:54 PM in response to Eric Root

I tried the OS reinstall a couple of days ago, it took a while to run and then said it couldn't install any software

I can't remember the reason

I since checked a Youtube demo of this install and one bit I didn't do is connect wireless to the internet and put in the password

I just assumed it would connect automatically

So I will have another go at that tomorrow and see what happens

Jun 11, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Dodds9876

I tried the OS El Capitan install again and checked to make sure I was connected to the internet

It went through the download stage and then into the install but after a while came back with message

'OS could not be installed as no packages were eligible'

This pc is second user I purchased a few years ago

Would that be the reason I can't install or maybe its not supported

Message - This Connection Is Not Private using Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.