Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme doesn't like more than four devices

I have an Airport Extreme that I've used for a quite a few years as my wireless router with several different DSL (and now Midcontinent cable) IPs. On its network are a two-year-old iMac, a pair of mid-2012 Airs, and and iPhone 6 that's basically the home phone. However, I also have another iPhone 6 and a newish iPad that I occasionally bring home, and while they connected to wireless without any problems, they never get an internet connection. When I take them anywhere else, they connect to wireless and the internet just fine. At home, though, I get nothing but the gray spinner in Wi-Fi next to the network name.

When this started a few months ago, I could Reset Network Settings in iOS and connect, but no longer. I've gone so far to reset all settings on the iPhone (what I'm currently working with) and to hard reset the AirPort Extreme without any change. I'm about to remove the AirPort altogether and try it just with MIdco's Arris Touchstone 8200 wireless router, but at that point I might as well send the AirPort to recycling. What else should I try before doing that? Everything's on the latest OS and the firmware on the AirPort is up to date.

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 2:07 PM

Setup over WAN allows the AirPort to be set up from a remote location over the Internet. Chances are, you don't need that option or feature.

Open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort, click Edit, then click on the Base Station tab at the top of the window

Remove the check mark next to Allow Setup over WAN

Click Update and you should be good to go

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 2:07 PM in response to Mark Singer

Setup over WAN allows the AirPort to be set up from a remote location over the Internet. Chances are, you don't need that option or feature.

Open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort, click Edit, then click on the Base Station tab at the top of the window

Remove the check mark next to Allow Setup over WAN

Click Update and you should be good to go

Jun 7, 2020 12:19 PM in response to Mark Singer

This sounds as if your ISP may be limiting the number of devices that can connect to your network. This is common, with a limit of around 5 devices seeming to be a popular number among various ISPs.

To see if that might be the case, you'll need to check a setting on the AirPort Extreme to find out whether it is acting as your router, or whether the Arris modem/router is acting as your router.

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac.........Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme and another smaller window will appear

Click Edit in that smaller window to display the various topic headings for the AirPort Extreme

Click the Network tab at the top of the screen and note the current setting for Router Mode

If the current Setting for Router Mode is DHCP and NAT......that confirms that the AirPort is acting as your router and up to 50 WiFi devices should be able to connect to the network.

If the current setting for Router Mode is Off (Bridge Mode)......that tells you that routing is currently turned Off on the AirPort and it is "bridging" or allowing the Arris modem/router to control the number of devices that can connect to your network. This will be determined by your ISP.

Post back on your results and we'll know where to go next. Please do not change any settings at this time.

Jun 7, 2020 1:32 PM in response to Mark Singer

If you have a a straight cable modem, then I'm surprised that you could even get more than one device to connect at the same time. Normally, only one device will be able to connect at the same time when you have a simple modem connected to the AirPort and the AirPort is in Bridge Mode.

The AirPort needs to be set to a Router Mode of DHCP and NAT. Go ahead and make that change and click Update to save the new settings. Give the AirPort a minute to restart.

If devices still cannot connect to the Internet, then power off both the modem and the AirPort

Wait 10-15 minutes

Power up the modem first and let it run for about 5 minutes by itself

Then, power up the AirPort Extreme and check to see if devices can connect now.

Jun 7, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Well, this is working, and everything connected. It's even faster per Midco's speedtest. *But* now the light on the AirPort is flashing yellow and its status in AirPort Utility is "Setup over WAN." There's also a red warning circle with a 1 next to its name in the window, but I assume that's because of that error. Do I just put a piece of white electrical tape over the light on the AirPort and go with it?

AirPort Extreme doesn't like more than four devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.