Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme setup issues

A few days ago, my Airport Extreme 802.11n (5th generation) started flashing amber. I still had an internet connection, so I left it for a while, and last night attempted a reset of my modem, which didn't fix it, and then a factory reset of the Airport. Now the problem is that I can't, via the utility program, set up my wifi again.

When I hit either Manual Setup or Continue, it flashes very briefly through "connecting to Apple network" (the progress bar hits about 3-5%), and then switches to "detecting Apple wireless devices", which takes forever to get through before doing this:

So currently I'm on the default, unsecured wifi network, and have no clue how to fix this. It's never done this before, and I can only hope it's not that the device is dying; I'm extremely poor, and it's not that old.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 6:23 AM

I just tried the "configure other" option in the utility program, and it won't let me continue without a password. Is there some default password I could try?

LaPastenague provided that information above in his answer to you. The default password is........

public

Google was suggesting firmware update too, but I'm not sure how that could be the case, since it IS an older device. Are there still new firmware updates being put out for older devices?

Yes, in fact Apple provided a new firmware update......7.8.1.....about a week ago. But, you will not be able to to update the firmware until the Airport Extreme is operating normally again. Then.....you can apply the update.

Maybe you have a friend with an iPhone or iPad who would let you use it for 15-20 minutes? That would be a much better way to try to set up the AirPort Extreme again. A Mac would work much better as well.

Finally, this may or may not be a factor, but the 5th Gen AirPort Extreme is at least 6 years old, and as much as 8 depending on when it was placed into service. The average useful life of a WiFi router designed for home use is about 5 years.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2019 6:23 AM in response to dmwingon

I just tried the "configure other" option in the utility program, and it won't let me continue without a password. Is there some default password I could try?

LaPastenague provided that information above in his answer to you. The default password is........

public

Google was suggesting firmware update too, but I'm not sure how that could be the case, since it IS an older device. Are there still new firmware updates being put out for older devices?

Yes, in fact Apple provided a new firmware update......7.8.1.....about a week ago. But, you will not be able to to update the firmware until the Airport Extreme is operating normally again. Then.....you can apply the update.

Maybe you have a friend with an iPhone or iPad who would let you use it for 15-20 minutes? That would be a much better way to try to set up the AirPort Extreme again. A Mac would work much better as well.

Finally, this may or may not be a factor, but the 5th Gen AirPort Extreme is at least 6 years old, and as much as 8 depending on when it was placed into service. The average useful life of a WiFi router designed for home use is about 5 years.

Jun 28, 2019 10:18 PM in response to dmwingon

The windows version of airport utility is the worst to use.. do you have iphone or iPad? I am guessing you don't have Mac.

You can download the airport utility for iOS .. it works alot better.

If you cannot get anywhere.. and are stuck with windows.. connect the airport to the computer by ethernet and do it manually..

After a reset the Airport will always return to its home address, 10.0.1.1

Make sure your computer gets a suitable address.. 10.0.1.2 for example.

Go to the top menu.. File, Configure Other.

I will give you screenshots but from Mac version of the 5.6.1 airport utility.

Type in the IP.. no password required yet.. but it is public.

Main page of the setup will open.

Click on Airport (mine says Time Capsule since that is what I am using).

Provide it a name.. I recommend different to before.. short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

You also need a password.. this can be the same or different to the wireless password. Same rules as above but can be longer.

Click on the wireless tab.. and do the same thing. Provide a wireless name.. same rules.. short no spaces pure alphanumerics.

Select wireless security WPA2 Personal.

Type in password.

Click the Internet tab on the very top line.

Assuming your modem is also a router your selection should be off (bridge mode).

If your modem is a pure modem (one ethernet port only).. select Share a Public IP.

Click update when you have finished.

Now the most likely reason it was flashing is it needs a firmware update.

it's not that old.

Sorry but it must be at least 6 years and could be up to 8 years old.. so not sure of your definition of old.

Jun 29, 2019 3:36 AM in response to LaPastenague

I am stuck with Windows, yes. The thing is, I tried plugging directly into the router last night (laptop to router, router to modem) and it was doing the exact same thing. I'll try it again and see if I was just mistaken, though. Google was suggesting firmware update too, but I'm not sure how that could be the case, since it IS an older device. Are there still new firmware updates being put out for older devices?

Jun 29, 2019 6:49 AM in response to dmwingon

The AirPort Extreme will display a green light once it is set up, but that light may change to flashing amber in the next few days to notify you that a firmware update is available for the AirPort Extreme.

To update the firmware.......

Open AirPort Utility

Select the AirPort Extreme

Click Manual Set Up

Click directly on the word "Version" on the next page

Airport Extreme setup issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.