Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot connect to home LAN external drive

I upgraded to Catalina on two home computers... my laptop and a Mac mini in another room. Previously, I could access files on the mini's external USB drive. Now I cannot. The error is "This operation can't be completed because the original item for 'OWC-Storage' can't be found."

I can see the volume if I go via "Connect to Server" or try to connect from the Finder window sidebar. Once I chose the volume, I get the error. I haven't change File Sharing or anything. It worked fine in High Sierra. Please advise. I'm open to suggestions.

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 5:59 AM

Turn off, then re-enable File sharing.

I usually have no problems with Connect to Server. The SideBar Locations will connect initially, but fail subsequent times.

One solution found all over the internet is to Relaunch the Finder. Obviously, just a workaround for some internal problem that hasn't been fixed.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 8, 2020 6:45 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks. I should have known it was some variant of "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I disabled/re-enabled File Sharing at the 'remote' Mac and could connect successfully from my laptop. Going the other way though, from the 'remote' Mac repeated the error after I made the change on the laptop. I found that I had to relaunch the Finder on the Mac mini (using the CMD-OPT-ESC menu) and then I could successfully access the laptop external drive. Thanks again.

cannot connect to home LAN external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.