Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I see my motion templates in final cut pro?

Hi, I have moved my motion templates to my external hard drive, and updated the Library Settings in Final Cut Pro X.

But I still can't see the content of my plugins. How can I see the plugins in the folder?

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 2:30 AM

It does not work that way.

Motion templates have to be in their designated locations in order for Final Cut Pro to "see" them.

Effects, Titles, Generators and Transitions need to be inside /Users/<yourname>/Movies/Motion Templates,

regardless of the settings for the library.

The choices for "Motion Content" under "Storage Locations" are either "In Library" or "In Motion Templates Folder".

The former means that when you use a given template, it will be copied to the library.

This has the potential benefit of making the library self-contained, ie. if you take your library with you and use it on another mac, there is a chance that some effects are not installed on that other mac; this will avoid that problem, at the expense of creating more copies of the templates (which are usually pretty small, so that is not a big deal).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2020 2:30 AM in response to baardhansen

It does not work that way.

Motion templates have to be in their designated locations in order for Final Cut Pro to "see" them.

Effects, Titles, Generators and Transitions need to be inside /Users/<yourname>/Movies/Motion Templates,

regardless of the settings for the library.

The choices for "Motion Content" under "Storage Locations" are either "In Library" or "In Motion Templates Folder".

The former means that when you use a given template, it will be copied to the library.

This has the potential benefit of making the library self-contained, ie. if you take your library with you and use it on another mac, there is a chance that some effects are not installed on that other mac; this will avoid that problem, at the expense of creating more copies of the templates (which are usually pretty small, so that is not a big deal).

How can I see my motion templates in final cut pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.