Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Message Forwarding from iPhone to MacBook or other apple devices

I recently changed my laptop and since then for some reason I do not see the "Text Message Forwarding" option under the Settings-->Message on my iPhone 11.

Apple has absolutely no support articles to help on this topic.

Existing articles to "Setup SMS forwarding from iPhone to MacBook etc." has a small blurb on how to fix error if the option to forward messages is not showing up. Nothing works! Tried everything.

For some reason --- no one has been able to help on this matter other than what I mentioned above.

Did I find a bug in iOS? I am starting to feel that I may have.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 7:48 AM

You need to have the same Apple ID on iPhone and Mac. --> How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to ...

Set up text message forwarding

1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
  2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
  3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2020 7:48 AM in response to Jay_from_MA

You need to have the same Apple ID on iPhone and Mac. --> How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to ...

Set up text message forwarding

1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
  2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
  3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.

Text Message Forwarding from iPhone to MacBook or other apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.