Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Macbook Pro Early 2011

Hello.

I have a friend with a MacBook Pro Early 2011 running OS X 10.9.5. and Safari 9.1.3. He keeps getting error messages that he needs to upgrade to the latest version of Safari, but when we try, the computer shows "no updates available".

I gather from the research I've done that this model cannot be upgraded to Catalina. Is that correct? Are there any other courses of action he can take? Or is the macbook at its limit?

If any further information is needed from me, I'll be glad to supply it. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. :)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 9:47 AM

Hey there, gtifeld.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! You ask great question about upgrading this Mac, and I'd be glad to assist you with that.

The Mac you mentioned does max out prior to Catalina, but it can be upgraded. That's an important distinction, as an update would be like from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, but an upgrade could be from 10.9.5 to 10.13.6, which is the latest version of macOS that this computer can run. Take a quick look at How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra for steps on compatibility, steps to take prior to upgrading, and what to expect moving forward.

I hope that helps!

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 9:47 AM in response to gtifeld

Hey there, gtifeld.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! You ask great question about upgrading this Mac, and I'd be glad to assist you with that.

The Mac you mentioned does max out prior to Catalina, but it can be upgraded. That's an important distinction, as an update would be like from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, but an upgrade could be from 10.9.5 to 10.13.6, which is the latest version of macOS that this computer can run. Take a quick look at How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra for steps on compatibility, steps to take prior to upgrading, and what to expect moving forward.

I hope that helps!

Take care.

Upgrade Macbook Pro Early 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.