Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External mouse (Logitech G Pro Wireless) and keyboard (Magic Keyboard) suddenly stop working simultaneously.

I just experienced the weirdest issue on a brand new MBP 13", 2020:

Both the external mouse, a Logitech G Pro Wireless, connected via the USB dongle, and the Apple magic keyboard, connected via bluetooth (and via USB for charging) worked just fine, until all of a sudden, they stopped working simultaneously while I was using them.

• both devices were charged/charging
  • un-/re-plugging didn't change anything
  • disabling & re-enabling bluetooth didn't change anything
  • the magic keyboard still appeared as "connected" in the bluetooth menu

The built in keyboard and trackpad continued to work just fine.

After a reboot, the external mouse and keyboard continued to work instantly until after a few minutes the same thing happened all over again.

Catalina is up to date. The only other devices connected to the MBP are the charger (USB-C) and a Display (USB-C/TB3 > DP).

I have no clue what triggers the problem - any Ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 1:05 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 8, 2020 2:18 PM in response to diegofromwien

Well this is interesting!

I've also had the same thing. I feel like I've tried everything!

I've literally just sold a MacBook Pro 2018 where it was all perfect.

I then get a new MacBook Pro 2020, plugged it all in and over the course of a whole day of working from home. today I've had to reboot the device 8/10 times.

Keyboard - Logitech G915

Mouse - Razer Mamba Elite

I can be doing anything and then suddenly nothing... mouse and keyboard stop responding.

The trackpad on the MacBook works perfectly.

I've tried to reset the SMC and PRAM.

I've even tried to do a full on fresh install.

When I did a fresh install, I used the laptop without installing anything on it for a few hours to see if it was a software issue and sure enough it happened again.

I would really appreciate ANY thoughts or feedback regarding this. HELP!

Jun 10, 2020 5:58 AM in response to Semazas

The issue just occurred again and it seems as if it is related to the USB-C dongle that provides the USB port that the mouse and keyboard are connected to. (Also - if the Magic Keyboard is connected via USB, the bluetooth connection does not seem to be used and the connection simply drops, once you unplug it, which explains why they both stopped working simultaneously)

I'm using a "uni USB-C Multiport Adapter 3 in 1".

When the keyboard and mouse failed, i noticed that the USB port didn't work properly (though providing power).

I then tried another dongle (Hyper Drive Duo) without rebooting and everything worked just fine.

So maybe the issue is related either to the dongle or the MBP not being able to deal with it.

@Semazas: how did you connect your mouse and keyboard?

Jun 10, 2020 6:38 AM in response to diegofromwien

I have a mouse, keyboard plugged into a Razer Chroma Stand/Hub and that is plugged into an LG 27UK850 monitor.

It seems that for some reason, when the stand / hub is used it is almost too much for the MacBook or monitor to hand and it just locks up.

The keyboard and Trackpad on the MacBook all seem to be ok after lock up.

I literally swapped out a 2018 MacBook with the 2020 MacBook and only just started to have this issue. I'm 90% certain that it has to be the port on the MacBook.

I called support and went through with them and they have advised that send it back and they are going to send me a new replacement as I am still within my 2 week grace period.

External mouse (Logitech G Pro Wireless) and keyboard (Magic Keyboard) suddenly stop working simultaneously.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.