You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant get into Single User Recovery

Hi everyone,

I am trying to recover my laptop, an early 2011 macbook pro from a gpu failure issue. I found a solution here https://gist.github.com/cdleon/d1eff7246a25193304284ecec40445b0 where i could switch my graphic cards and use the one on the motherboard. I am trying to get into the Single User Recovery by holding cmd S or cmd R or cmd R + S. None of the above works. i get the attached image on my screen for 2 seconds and then back to the grey screen with the apple where the system tries to boot and login. Does anyone have any clue what this screen is and hoe i could get in the Single User Recovery?

Any help would be appreciated.

Giorgos

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 2:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 4:34 PM

I'm not at all familiar with Command + R + S as a boot option. Command + R for Recovery Mode and Command + S for Single User Mode, but I've never seen the combined option.

That looks like part of a Verbose Mode boot, but it also looks like macOS is unable to unlock the Filevault. That would indicate a file system issue or a failing hard drive.

I'm not sure which version of macOS is currently installed (or has been installed previously), but you can try to boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2020 4:34 PM in response to g@2monochannels

I'm not at all familiar with Command + R + S as a boot option. Command + R for Recovery Mode and Command + S for Single User Mode, but I've never seen the combined option.

That looks like part of a Verbose Mode boot, but it also looks like macOS is unable to unlock the Filevault. That would indicate a file system issue or a failing hard drive.

I'm not sure which version of macOS is currently installed (or has been installed previously), but you can try to boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

Cant get into Single User Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.