Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac late 2013 graphics card running slow

Hey there I have a late 2013, 27" iMac

The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB

I am having problems using premier pro when editing a larger video. It is lagging and cant keep up. I have went through all the changes I can with settings and such but I am at a loss.

Would an external graphics card help me use premier? Or any suggestions on what I can do?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 10:26 AM

Adobe's system requirements for Premiere Pro states 2GB minimum and preferred 4GB VRAM. You are under-gunned with that 1GB GT 755M, as the slowest GPU NVIDIA recommends is the GTX 970, and they are also recommending Mac hardware from 2016 or later.

8 replies

Jun 9, 2020 8:57 AM in response to HendrickRoss

2013 iMac 27" is still capable to do some video editing, even 4K.

I might suggest post EtreCheck here to see any possible issue.

Video editing would require many aspects of hardwares -- CPU, memory size, video card and hard drive read/write speed.

Before you jump into eGPU -- you might want to make an assessment -- your work load (1080 4K or 8K), size ...etc, causal user vs, professional usage.

eGPU option -- work better with Thunderbolt 3 interface, as well compatible 3rd party-devices (iMac 2017 and later), than 2012-2015 Thunderbolt 2.

Jun 9, 2020 9:05 AM in response to HendrickRoss

The minimum recomended GPU requirement is 2 GB of GPU VRAM

see > https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

No your Late 2013 iMac does not support an external GPU.

If you want to run Premiere Pro, then you need to look for a newer iMac with a better GPU and an SSD.

see > https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html#gpu-acceleration

iMac late 2013 graphics card running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.