Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics card performance extremely poor in Bootcamp Windows 10 after updating AMD graphics card drivers

I updated my AMD graphics card drivers by downloading the latest Bootcamp-compatible drivers directly from the AMD website. However, now the secondary graphics card on my Mac Pro (2013) no longer works and the overall system performance in video games has declined significantly. What did I do wrong with the graphics card driver install?

Some notes:

1) When I say the secondary graphics card no longer works, I mean that I have to disable the secondary graphics card or else my Bootcamp Windows install will not proceed to the login screen before crashing.

2) Prior to updating the graphics cards, my system could play Fallout 4 just fine. After the update, it's extremely laggy.

3) I made sure to follow all of AMD's instructions and ran their cleaning utility prior to installing the drivers.

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 3:53 PM

If you Download and install Windows support software on your Mac - Apple Support, you will get the original drivers.

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 9, 2021 10:46 AM in response to Loner T

Unfortunately I don’t remember what the original Bootcamp drivers are and I can’t find a way to re-install them. When I completely remove all of the graphics card drivers using either of the cleaner programs, Bootcamp defaults to the Windows generic graphics card drivers, which are pretty bad too (albeit functional).

I tried installing the two previous versions of graphics drivers released from AMD, but the installers didn’t work at all, strangely enough. The only way I’ve succeeded in “re-installing” the original Bootcamp graphics card drivers in the past is by doing a complete Bootcamp wipe and reinstall. If you know of a less laborious way of accomplishing that, I’d be happy to learn it.

Apple really needs to update their documentation and stop recommending that folks update their AMD graphics card drivers.

Graphics card performance extremely poor in Bootcamp Windows 10 after updating AMD graphics card drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.