Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search Marquis

I have a Macbook pro. My default browser is Google Chrome. Search Marquis takes over my web browsing. How do I remove Search Marquis from a MacBook Pro running Google Chrome?

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 12:00 PM

I suspect you have installed adware/malware:

>System Preferences>Profiles. found next to Accessibility (click into it and then remove all the suspicious things from the list.) May or may not be present.

Adware Removal Guide—Manual removal of : http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-identification/

or

Try running this trusted utility https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

also Verify you are not using SOCKS proxy:

>System Preferences>Networks>Advanced>Proxy uncheck the box

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 12:00 PM in response to CanvasBoatCovers

I suspect you have installed adware/malware:

>System Preferences>Profiles. found next to Accessibility (click into it and then remove all the suspicious things from the list.) May or may not be present.

Adware Removal Guide—Manual removal of : http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-identification/

or

Try running this trusted utility https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

also Verify you are not using SOCKS proxy:

>System Preferences>Networks>Advanced>Proxy uncheck the box

Aug 31, 2020 5:42 PM in response to CanvasBoatCovers

Howdy CanvasBoatCovers,

If you're running into an issue with Search Marquis, then you can give the following steps a try:

If Safari appears to be stuck on an unexpected homepage

If Safari remains on a homepage or search engine that you don't want, despite following the steps above, a phishing site may have tricked you into installing unknown or suspicious software.

If you think that you might have malware or adware on your Mac, update to the latest version of macOS. If your Mac is already running the latest version, restart it. macOS includes a built-in tool that removes known malware when you restart your Mac.

If the homepage still appears stuck, check for and remove any unknown or suspicious apps, browser extensions, or system configuration files, and learn how to manage app security settings on your Mac

To remove apps, open the Applications folder on your Mac, then drag any suspicious apps to the Trash. Choose Finder > Empty Trash.

To remove browser extensions, open Safari preferences, then click Extensions. Select any suspicious extensions, and click the Uninstall button.

To remove system configuration profiles,* choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Profiles. Look for any profiles that you don’t recognize or that seem suspicious. The profile may or may not seem related to the homepage you want to change. Click the suspicious profile to select it, then click the Remove button (-) below the list of profiles. Click Remove to confirm. Restart your Mac, then try changing your homepage in Safari preferences again.
* If your Mac belongs to your school or organization, check with your system administrator before deleting a necessary profile.

Set Safari to always open to the same webpage

Hope this helps!

Take care.

Jul 20, 2020 9:14 AM in response to SEC0716

SEC0716 wrote:

It appears this has happened to alot of us in the last few days/weeks. Can someone at APPLE please help us. I, too, am not comfortable downloading something from another site. And I cannot get these off my MAC. Very frustrating when trying to work.

This is a user to user Support Community— the concept is you are a user, I am a user, and we try and help each other.

If you can not see fit to use third party software to help resolve your issue, then maybe computers are not for you. The alternative was manually removing, but you have to follow through per the instructions and "work through this entire page" as referenced above.

If you want someone from "Apple" to address your concerns then use then official Apple Contact Support link is in the upper right corner of every page— or for your convenience post it here for you: Contact Support

There you will be addressing APPLE.

Search Marquis

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.