Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the normal actual storage capacity for a 1TB fusion drive?

Hi

After a failed windows installation using the bootcamp assistant, I have set the partition back to just one again. Now I would like to try to install again, but it seems to me like I'm missing a lot of space after this.

Not entirely sure what is normal here, but I have a 1TB fusion drive (2018 iMac). It shows correctly under Fusion drive in Disk Utility:

However, when I click into the only child drive, it shows only 774GB. I understand that the system takes some space too, but I was just a bit surprised that it takes as much as 226 GB. Is this normal? If it is, then there is no issue. I just want to make sure there is no "lost disk space" floating around after the failed Bootcamp partitioning.

This is what diskutil list gives me:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:            TYPE NAME          SIZE    IDENTIFIER

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *1.0 TB   disk0

1:            EFI EFI           209.7 MB  disk0s1

2:         Apple_APFS Container disk2     746.3 GB  disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *28.0 GB  disk1

1:            EFI EFI           314.6 MB  disk1s1

2:         Apple_APFS Container disk2     27.7 GB  disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):

0:   APFS Container Scheme -           +774.0 GB  disk2

Physical Stores disk1s2, disk0s2

1:        APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data   385.9 GB  disk2s1

2:        APFS Volume Preboot         83.0 MB  disk2s2

3:        APFS Volume Recovery        528.5 MB  disk2s3

4:        APFS Volume VM           2.2 GB   disk2s4

5:        APFS Volume Macintosh HD      11.0 GB  disk2s5

(or as image: )

Any qualified feedback appreciated.

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 6:24 PM

It looks like you have a 28GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, but only 746GB is allocated on the HDD. There is 250GB missing somewhere.

Bootcamp assistant should have removed the partition and merged the space back into the HDD.

If you click on Partition, do you see a wedge of empty space in the pie after the 746GB partition?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 6:24 PM in response to Roaldset

It looks like you have a 28GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, but only 746GB is allocated on the HDD. There is 250GB missing somewhere.

Bootcamp assistant should have removed the partition and merged the space back into the HDD.

If you click on Partition, do you see a wedge of empty space in the pie after the 746GB partition?

What is the normal actual storage capacity for a 1TB fusion drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.