Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone/iPad app store - Verification Failed. There was an error in connecting to your Apple ID

Since iOS 13.5.1 update every time I have app updates on my iPhone x 2 and iPad x 2 the app store keeps saying "Verification Failed. There was an error in connecting to your Apple ID" then it requests my Password which fails.

However if I delete the app and go to download it again, it is if I have never downloaded it before. In other words there is no cloud symbol there. The password works and the download works fine.

I have signed out of my iTunes & App Store account and restarted routine. I have signed out of my Apple ID account and restarted routine. ALL 4 iDevices are signed in using exactly the same Apple ID. All family sharing uses exactly the same Apple ID. This Apple ID has not changed in years except for that strange thing that Apple wanted me to change, years ago, my old @me and @mac icloud accounts to just @icloud.com which I have had since those requests years ago.

It is as if my past app store ownership history has disappeared. Looking at my purchase history all my history is there EXCEPT for 2019.

Though app's downloaded previous to iOS 13.5 are there. But app's downloaded, say, in 2018 and early 2020 that require updates post iOS 13.5.1 still want my password which fails.

All very strange. Any help appreciated.

iPhone 7, 13

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 3:25 PM

Hi FineWine,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having problems updating some apps on your iPhone. From what you've shared, it sounds like you may have been signed in using a different Apple ID when these affected apps were downloaded. If so, you'll need to continue removing them and then download them using your current Apple ID.

You can review the apps purchased or associated with your current Apple ID by following the steps linked below.

Cheers!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 3:25 PM in response to FineWine

Hi FineWine,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having problems updating some apps on your iPhone. From what you've shared, it sounds like you may have been signed in using a different Apple ID when these affected apps were downloaded. If so, you'll need to continue removing them and then download them using your current Apple ID.

You can review the apps purchased or associated with your current Apple ID by following the steps linked below.

Cheers!

Jun 11, 2020 5:15 PM in response to FineWine

Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch         

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device.      

If necessary

Hard reset.        

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting.      

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.      

Jun 14, 2020 4:46 PM in response to Eric Root

Spent 65 minutes in online chat with support.

Apparently the affected apps (??? and I question this) were originally downloaded with an Apple ID which I have ONLY EVER used for the iBooks store which is a NON @icloud.com account. Days prior to all this trouble Apple had asked me to update my password for this non @icloud.com ID to a stronger one, which was fair enough as it was very weak and which I did.

It was just post this that all the trouble started with my main Apple ID which is a @iCloud.com. Remember my iDevice Apple ID sign in has always been the @icloud.com account including the iTunes & App store sign in.

The support person could not explain why changing the password of one account should of affected the password of another account and even then only partially. Partially cause I was and am still able to sign into everything (iBook excluded) except when it comes to updating app's.

So in the end I said to him the following quote:

Ever since the first computers, there have always been ghosts in the machine. Random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols.

His reply was:

This is why Updates is important since they contains changes to improve the performance, stability and security of the applications that run on your device. Installing them ensures that your software continues to run safely and efficiently. Keep in that many web exploits look for outdated software with unpatched security flaws.

So I will keep deleting and re-downloading the relevant apps ☹️

Cheers thanks for your help guys 🍷

iPhone/iPad app store - Verification Failed. There was an error in connecting to your Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.