Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs playing at random in my playlist

I have a playlist with more than 24000 songs(!!!). I’d like to hear it in alphabetical order. But, for some reason, when I stop listening to the playlist, after a couple of hours or on the next day, that playlist is not being play from where it left off. When I press the play bottom I got a “random “ song and the playing screen shows that the song is being played in a “shuffle “ mode....why? And how will I be able to play my playlists ONLY in alphabetical order? Thanks for the help here...

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 12:28 PM

Well...thanks for your help sterling r! I have already tried all the steps you suggested. But to no avail, unfortunately. What it DID work, surprisingly, was that I saved more storage in my iPhone!

I have a IPhone X max with 256 g of storage . But available right now I was having only between 1.5 g or 1 g . And that’s when the problem started. So I set offline almost all my apps and deleted some albums. And I was able to “save” more storage...now I have available about 2.5 g in storage. And the problem I had playing that particular playlist is gone for now!!! Good for me....

So, in other words, at least in my case, clearly, it has been the Storage capacity of my iPhone the source of the problem. The more you reach the storage limit of the IPhone, the more you would have these kind of problems...

Anyway, something for the technical team of the IPhone to think about it....

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2020 12:28 PM in response to sterling r

Well...thanks for your help sterling r! I have already tried all the steps you suggested. But to no avail, unfortunately. What it DID work, surprisingly, was that I saved more storage in my iPhone!

I have a IPhone X max with 256 g of storage . But available right now I was having only between 1.5 g or 1 g . And that’s when the problem started. So I set offline almost all my apps and deleted some albums. And I was able to “save” more storage...now I have available about 2.5 g in storage. And the problem I had playing that particular playlist is gone for now!!! Good for me....

So, in other words, at least in my case, clearly, it has been the Storage capacity of my iPhone the source of the problem. The more you reach the storage limit of the IPhone, the more you would have these kind of problems...

Anyway, something for the technical team of the IPhone to think about it....

Jun 12, 2020 10:42 AM in response to serge144

Hello serge144,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that your playlists unexpectedly stop playing and unexpectedly begin to shuffle. You've come to the right place! I'm happy to help.

First, make sure that your device has the latest software.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Use the steps in the following resource to make sure that shuffle has been turned off:

Repeat and shuffle

If the issue persists, restart your iPhone. Restarting can resolve many unexpected behaviors.

Restart your iPhone

You can play your entire music library in alphabetical order if you choose Songs in the Music Library rather than a playlist. If you'd like specific playlists to be in alphabetical order, you will need to put the songs in that order.

Create playlists on iPhone

Let us know if your songs continue to unexpectedly shuffle. Please include any additional troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a wonderful day!

Songs playing at random in my playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.