Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlist Stops Shuffling

I have an Apple Music playlist with over a thousand songs. 3.2 days. Every day I come into my office, wake up my Mac, and push play. At night I sleep. I'm in my office about 9-10 hours a day. So theoretically I should have more than a week's worth of work days without hearing the same song twice.

However, inevitably, by the third work day (about 20 hours into that 3.2 days) for some reason my playlist will default to only playing songs from one certain artist. It's almost always the same artist, but it will vary which album of theirs. And then run out of songs and stop playing.

This has been going on for months. Any ideas?

Using Music version 1.0.6.10 on Mac OS 10.15.7

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 6:47 PM

Krakenite,

Create a Smart Playlist with rules as follows:

Match All

Playlist is <the playlist you are talking about>

Last Played is not in the last 8 days

This will cause a song to be removed from the list as soon as it finishes playing, and not come back until 8 days later. (Choose a number different from 8 if you wish.)

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 6:47 PM in response to Krakenite

Krakenite,

Create a Smart Playlist with rules as follows:

Match All

Last Played is not in the last 8 days

This will cause a song to be removed from the list as soon as it finishes playing, and not come back until 8 days later. (Choose a number different from 8 if you wish.)

Oct 19, 2021 4:48 PM in response to Krakenite

Krakenite, Yes, the "on my computer" relates to the location of the audio file, and does not relate to where the "Last Played" took place.

Sounds like you are on the right track, but here is perhaps a better construct to use for your Smart Playlist:

Limit To 100 items selected by Least Recently Played

Live Updating

That way you will always have 100 songs in the playlist no matter how much or little you have been listening lately.

Oct 18, 2021 5:45 PM in response to Krakenite

How does it count "Days" here? Is it calendar days, or days of actual play?

If you play music 24/7, those two will be the same, lol.

But seriously, it is calendar days, based on the "Last Played" date. Whether it counts a day precisely as 24 hr, 0 min, 0 sec, or uses something a bit looser, I am not sure. Anyway, did setting to 2 days solve it?

Playlist Stops Shuffling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.