Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina destroying external drives

I bought a new Seagate 1TB external hard drive. When I tried to reformat it from Windows to Mac, the drive was unmounted then a message "Operation failed" appeared. Its icon never reappeared on the desktop. Same thing has happened with a 16GB flash drive.

Can I restore the drives?

Can I get Catalina to stop making external drives unusable?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 1:22 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 10, 2020 1:54 AM in response to Chris_1503

Chris_1503 Said:

"Catalina destroying external drives: When I tried to reformat it from Windows to Mac, the drive was unmounted then a message "Operation failed" appeared. Its icon never reappeared on the desktop."

-------

You are using Catalina

So, format the drive with APFS to see and use it.

To See It:

Sometimes changes(i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac.

• Create a New Administrator User

Re-perform the format in a newly-created Administrator user - once complete log back into this current user and delete the one you just created and used for formatting it.

• Boot into Recovery Mode:

Format it using Disk Utility in there.

Jun 10, 2020 1:59 AM in response to Chris_1503

If you want to reformat drives in High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina open Disk Utility,

click View in the menubar and select Show All Devices.

This will now show you the Disk and not just the Volume.

When erasing/ formatting it is important to select the Disk not the indented

Volume icon. Click Erase.

Give the Disk a name.

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (for all external disks)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Click Erase.

Catalina destroying external drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.