Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive disk error

Hello. After installing Catalina from Sierra operating system onto my desktop iMac, noticing issues with all (4) Lacie Porsche External Hard drives - Format: Mac os Extended (Journaled). They do mount and when opened everything works fine, however, in disk utility when checking First Aid, I am getting the error: First Aid failing - Unable to unmount volume for repair: (-69673). They do eject okay and no corruption after checking them on my MacBook Air with the High Sierra operating system. So, it's obvious Catalina is the problem. I've searched for answers but seems the only remedy is to erase the hard drives and reformat. So, that means having to buy yet another hard drive in order to copy thousands and thousands of files from all 4 hard drives before attempting to repair them on the new Catalina operating system.

Gotta be a better remedy besides returning to Sierra!

Help most appreciative...

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 10:01 AM

Lacie drives should work fine with Catalina, Big Sur, etc. However when you install the drive manufacturer's software, there is usually a software component that is on your computer, plus a firmware element that is installed into the external drive firmware. The two pieces must work together. Both pieces must be updated to work properly with a new or upgraded operating system. If there is a glitch in that process -- and it definitely seems like there has been a glitch because you can't even run the software on your Mac, so it appears that it did not fully or properly install -- external drives will often not mount or will exhibit other odd behaviors. If either the Mac software part of the external drive firmware part did not properly install.

To be fully "liberated" from these tools (assuming that is the issue here, which I suspect to be the case, but I'm going only on snippets of information you have provided) so you never have this kind of concern in the future, one must completely uninstall the software from the Mac and erase/reformat the drives. The software must be completely uninstalled (not just putting the application in the trash, but uninstallation of all the other pieces which have been placed in your system) because such tools are often somewhat intrusive in the way they are installed. Also, stay away from external drives that offer a "push button" functionality (like push a button on the drive to make it backup immediately) -- those ALWAYS have custom firmware.

External drives are like commodities nowadays, they are mass produced and very low cost. I think most of the large manufacturers' products are comparable, you will find people in these forums with opinions about one or the other but those are largely anecdotal (including mine). I buy ones that have the longest warranty, hoping that means that they might last longer. So I buy only 3 or 5 year warranty external drives, which include many (but not all) of the WD drives. You can also look at the number of stars users give these products on large seller sites (like Amazon), WD scores very highly there. I am using WD mechanical external drives with Catalina, and also WD and Samsung SSDs with Catalina. My daughter, who runs a photography business, uses dozens of WD external passport drives (4 TB typically) and has for years, with Catalina now. I think you should be trouble free with the large manufacturers as long as you never install their special tools/firmware. OWC also has a good reputation for external drives for Macs. Seagate should also be good but they typically are lower cost with shorter warranties.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2021 10:01 AM in response to Junieart

Lacie drives should work fine with Catalina, Big Sur, etc. However when you install the drive manufacturer's software, there is usually a software component that is on your computer, plus a firmware element that is installed into the external drive firmware. The two pieces must work together. Both pieces must be updated to work properly with a new or upgraded operating system. If there is a glitch in that process -- and it definitely seems like there has been a glitch because you can't even run the software on your Mac, so it appears that it did not fully or properly install -- external drives will often not mount or will exhibit other odd behaviors. If either the Mac software part of the external drive firmware part did not properly install.

To be fully "liberated" from these tools (assuming that is the issue here, which I suspect to be the case, but I'm going only on snippets of information you have provided) so you never have this kind of concern in the future, one must completely uninstall the software from the Mac and erase/reformat the drives. The software must be completely uninstalled (not just putting the application in the trash, but uninstallation of all the other pieces which have been placed in your system) because such tools are often somewhat intrusive in the way they are installed. Also, stay away from external drives that offer a "push button" functionality (like push a button on the drive to make it backup immediately) -- those ALWAYS have custom firmware.

External drives are like commodities nowadays, they are mass produced and very low cost. I think most of the large manufacturers' products are comparable, you will find people in these forums with opinions about one or the other but those are largely anecdotal (including mine). I buy ones that have the longest warranty, hoping that means that they might last longer. So I buy only 3 or 5 year warranty external drives, which include many (but not all) of the WD drives. You can also look at the number of stars users give these products on large seller sites (like Amazon), WD scores very highly there. I am using WD mechanical external drives with Catalina, and also WD and Samsung SSDs with Catalina. My daughter, who runs a photography business, uses dozens of WD external passport drives (4 TB typically) and has for years, with Catalina now. I think you should be trouble free with the large manufacturers as long as you never install their special tools/firmware. OWC also has a good reputation for external drives for Macs. Seagate should also be good but they typically are lower cost with shorter warranties.

Apr 4, 2021 10:11 AM in response to Junieart

Are you using Lacie proprietary disk utilities/firmware for these drives? If so, you may need to update it for Catalina. Lacie has extensive information about this on its web site. https://www.lacie.com/support/kb/compatibility-with-macos-1015-catalina/ It would be best to have external drives configured as generic devices with no third party firmware/software, otherwise you must be vigilant about updating firmware/software before updating the MacOS.

Are the drives set up with GUID partition map?

Apple has been selling Lacie drives for years, these drives should be compatible as generic devices, but if you use Lacie software/firmware/tools, those must be updated.

Apr 4, 2021 12:18 PM in response to Junieart

Sorry, I forgot to mention that running First Aid is acting intermittently. Hence, all my hard drives are partitioned to either 2 or 3. What's strange is that running first aid will show Operation Successful. But then, running it again will show First Aid process has failed. This keeps happening. From good to bad. From bad to good.

Odd behavior!

Apr 4, 2021 4:03 PM in response to Junieart

When you obtained the Lacie drives, did you install any Lacie software, utilities, or any associated Lacie program with the drives? Is there anything "Lacie" in your Applications folder? Do you have any Lacie software that allows you to lock, unlock, examine, maintain, or backup to/from these drives? Are they mobile or desktop drives, what specific model(s)?

I don't think I can offer you any more suggestions or advice without a clear answer to these questions.

Scores of Mac users are using these drives without issues. There is likely something in common with your configuration for these drives that is responsible for the issues. The Disk Utility behavior does not sound normal but could be caused by outdated firmware.

Apr 5, 2021 9:16 AM in response to steve626

Hello. Yes, I've installed the newest Lacie software such as Desktop Manager but doesn't even open.

This morning when I went to my computer, noticed the hard drive was unmounted which should not have happened considering I have always unticked Put hard drives to sleep when possible. So, had to restart my computer and remount them. Things look fine but did a First Aid test again and the first attempt was successful, tried it again, the test failed.

Anyway, currently searching for a new desktop external drive with probably a 3 or 4 TB capacity, then I will copy all of my 4 Lacie external hard disks to it. Hopefully, the new hard disk will work without issues with Catalina.

Just one more question: what external hard drive would you recommend that hasn't any issues with Catalina? I've always used Lacie products but now reluctant. I'm thinking Seagate HDD might be a good fit.

Help appreciative.

External hard drive disk error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.