Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Aid cannot repair Macintosh HD - data

Running OnyX on my MacBook Pro Retina 13" early 2015 running macOS Monterey 12.5 I got a warning message which told me to reboot into Recovery Mode and run Disk Utility First Aid. I did this: First Aid tells me that Macintosh HD-data has an error and suggests that I back up my data. I've done this, using Time Capsule, but don't know if I should take any further steps or be concerned about this problem.

Note: files are also saved to iCloud.

Should I now erase and format Macintosh HD-data?

I've checked the Macintosh HD partition, which contains the macOS Monterey data files, and that is fine.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 8:36 AM

Then you may have a problem.

But you don't just erase and format - "- Data" drive, you do the whole drive.

Before you erase anything, if you feel you must do something, restore the OS via the Recovery Panel. That will replace the OS but not touch data, settings or apps.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. < The Reinstall macOS part. Takes maybe 40 minutes start to return to sign in screen.

If that doesn't solve your issue, a complete erase and install certainly should if the drive is not failing. And you need to consider that too.

And get rid of Onyx, you don't need it.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2022 8:36 AM in response to markjarmuz

Then you may have a problem.

But you don't just erase and format - "- Data" drive, you do the whole drive.

Before you erase anything, if you feel you must do something, restore the OS via the Recovery Panel. That will replace the OS but not touch data, settings or apps.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. < The Reinstall macOS part. Takes maybe 40 minutes start to return to sign in screen.

If that doesn't solve your issue, a complete erase and install certainly should if the drive is not failing. And you need to consider that too.

And get rid of Onyx, you don't need it.

Aug 15, 2022 8:23 AM in response to markjarmuz

Onyx is one of those helper apps that have no value and if used incorrectly can destroy data. How many times did you run First Aid? FA does sometimes yield a negative result when everything is ok.

What prompted you to believe you needed to do anything with Onyx? If there is a problem, it's very likely you don't need Onyx to fix it.

Backing up is always a great idea and should be done regularly. A dedicated HDD is good destination for the dataset..

You can, of course, erase your drive and install the OS, but I would never do that based on anything Onyx presented.

First Aid cannot repair Macintosh HD - data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.