Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad Air 2 is running slow (freezing) since the last 2-3 updates

I have a 2014 iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular. Since the last couple of updates it has been running slow. Any app I use often (but not awlays) freezes for 4 to 10 seconds. Is this something related to Apple slowing down old hardware on purpose or is a different issue? Is anyone else having similar problem over the past 3-4 months?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 5:39 AM

9 replies

Jun 10, 2020 3:48 PM in response to MichelPM

Really? So you support slowing down devices that would work perfectly otherwise so that people must buy new ones? Are you working at Apple by any chance? I am not expecting support for old devices, I understand that perfectly, but I don’t believe I am being unrealistic when I ask not to have my device purposely slowed down from a revision of OS that is still compatible and supports my hardware. That to me is comparable to fraud. If the device is too old to support the OS Apple can prevent from being updated like for the iPad 2. I have one, and it won’t install past iOS 9, but it is totally useless because is slow as a turtle, and why should I not be allowed to use at its full potential with an old version of iOS as far as I don’t ask Apple for support???

Jun 10, 2020 2:40 PM in response to cesare.dieni

Yah,

Apple is secretly slowing down YOUR iPad.

Apple is bent on making YOUR iPad as useless as possible to get you to purchase another new iPad.

Apple NEEDS you to purchase one of its new iPads!

Come on!...

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

DO NOT simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

“buy a new iPad” ( subliminal message )...

“new iPad.”

Jun 10, 2020 3:00 PM in response to cesare.dieni

Really...........

No mobile, personal device maker supports their devices forever.

You will find that Apple supports their mobile, personal devices longer than any other device maker.

You are being unrealistic in your expectations.

Your iPad Air 2 may get iPadOS 14 as this will be, largely, a code optimising/code fixing/debugging OS version with very little in the way of new features.

So, your already nearly 6-year old iPad will get one more year of iPadOS upgrades/updates, but eventually ALL support for your iPad will completely end.

This is already happening for anyone who owns 8 and 9-year old iPads in 2020.

Both Apple and just about ALL popular third party app developers have permanently removed, for good, ALL older iOS compatible versions of their apps from Apple's iOS App Store servers.

These older iOS version apps are all permanently gone forever from Apple's iOS App Store.

So, it is just a matter of time for all other iPads made after 2012 through 2014, or so.

So, full end of support for these 2013-2015 devices is coming.

Jun 10, 2020 4:15 PM in response to cesare.dieni

My initial reply to you was totally sarcastic, except for my link for optimising iPads.

Apple is NOT out to get YOUR iPad and Apple, in NO WAY is purposely slowing down your device.

You are assuming a false explanation for your iPad issues.

I have some other questions for you?

What storage size is your iPad Air 2?

How much internal data storage is left inside of this iPad?

Users load up these devices nearly full of data when NO computer or mobioe computing device should ever be near full of data, at all.

Jun 10, 2020 4:58 PM in response to MichelPM

I will try to go through the steps on that link, thanks.

The storage is 64gb, there are currently 15gb free. I am not an heavy user, and usually I remove what I do not need. This has started after an upgrade, if I recall right 3-4 upgrades ago. At first it was slow after the install, for 10-15 mins, and I though may be related to the device still booting, but as new updates came in it got progressively worse. I have noticed now that if I close all apps and keep only the one I am using loaded it gets slightly better, but still has moments on/off where it has these hiccups, everything freezes on the screen: no scrolling possible, no reaction on clicking, although it remembers all the clicks I make while frozen.

My iPad Air 2 is running slow (freezing) since the last 2-3 updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.