Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t update

I bought a used MacBook Air and the person before me didnt update it the last update is 10.11.6 and every time I go to App Store for updates nothing is there. I’ve tried downloading the 10.12.1 on Apple downloads and it doesn’t work.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 8:53 AM

Please read What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

The seller should have performed those instructions prior to selling it. Since it appears that was not accomplished, you will need to start with Step 6: Erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS. You will encounter continual problems with that Mac until you do that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 8:53 AM in response to karly275

Please read What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

The seller should have performed those instructions prior to selling it. Since it appears that was not accomplished, you will need to start with Step 6: Erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS. You will encounter continual problems with that Mac until you do that.

Jun 10, 2020 6:29 PM in response to karly275

Ok, so your Mac must have macOS "High Sierra" or perhaps an earlier one installed. To find out what's installed now, Find out which macOS your Mac is using:

Which macOS version is installed?

From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose About This Mac. You'll see the macOS name, such as macOS Mojave, followed by its version number.

Then, find out if you can update it to the latest version, "Catalina": Learn how to upgrade to the latest version of macOS.

Please write back if you have any questions about any of that.

Can’t update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.