Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to reduce the sensitivity of the touch bar?

I keep hitting it when I try to use the top row keys causing all sorts of random behavior.... Unfortunately this is a work thing, otherwise I'd chunk the macbook and get something with keys.

I can rip everything off the touch bar I'm aware... but then I don't have the function keys. I could just add them to the fn button I guess, but that seems obnoxious and I lose the ability to change volume/brightness... :\

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 9:13 AM

cbas1391 wrote:

I keep hitting it when I try to use the top row keys causing all sorts of random behavior.... Unfortunately this is a work thing, otherwise I'd chunk the macbook and get something with keys.

I can rip everything off the touch bar I'm aware... but then I don't have the function keys. I could just add them to the fn button I guess, but that seems obnoxious and I lose the ability to change volume/brightness... :\

Customize the Touch Bar on Mac - Apple Support

How to use the Touch Bar on your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

You can submit your user experience—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 9:13 AM in response to cbas1391

cbas1391 wrote:

Customize the Touch Bar on Mac - Apple Support

How to use the Touch Bar on your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

You can submit your user experience—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jun 10, 2020 11:53 AM in response to leroydouglas

Might not have been fully clear. I read those pages prior to posting. I set the 'fn' key to make the F1-F12 keys appear and removed everything else before I posted my original message.

The biggest issue in attempting that workaround was this: that meant I have to use another finger to hit keybindings with function keys in them. On further reflection, I realized that, actually, I need to rebind those keys anyways because I can't touch type with the touch bar even if I got it less sensitive.

But I did find that there's actually an accessibility option that's closer to what I was looking for:

Zoom in on the Touch Bar

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/zoom-in-on-the-touch-bar-mchl090bb3ee/10.15/mac/10.15

It annoyingly pops up, but doesn't perform the action I fat fingered when I brush the bar. It requires extra steps to actually use it, but that's your call to make the tradeoff.

So, there are a couple work arounds for this issue. I've got a setup that fixes my issue (turn it off as far as is possible), but the semi-functional work arounds might assist someone else who'd like to have the soft keys for their workflow.

As to feedback... I'm disinclined. It's one of those things... I'm neither the first nor the loudest person to bump my head on this and reading a bit, it seems the most they've done is add the escape key back. I think it's as good as they're going to get it and it just wasn't designed for touch typing hand commands.

Any way to reduce the sensitivity of the touch bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.