Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus help, restart help

I was updating my Mac book pro and it said I had to restart it so I restarted it but know it’s in a loop from a screen that says “pls wait a few seconds” in like 7 languages and then it gets to the Mac loading screen but then it goes back to the other page. And when I turn on and off the computer nothing changes. Is this a virus from the macenizer thing?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 1:14 PM

11 replies

Jun 10, 2020 1:23 PM in response to Nathanrog

No, there are no viruses for Macs. You've probably got some corruption to the system or drive. Try booting into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down. If successful then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

If you can't boot into Safe Mode boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run First Aid on the drive. Then reboot normally.

If that fails boot again into the Recovery volume and reinstall the system.

Jun 11, 2020 10:34 AM in response to Nathanrog

That means there is no bootable OS. At least it didn't panic.

Try Internet Recovery with cmd-opt-R on restart.

That should boot from Apple's servers bypassing the local hard drive.

If you can boot into that, use Disk Utility to run First Aid on the disk.

If any faults are found but corrected, run it again until it finishes cleanly.

You then can Reinstall macOS from the main menu in Recovery.

That won't remove whatever was installed that is causing the panics. Nor will it fix a hardware problem if that is the cause. If it is a kernel extension, we may be able to remove it while booted into Internet Recovery.

Virus help, restart help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.