Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unresponsive screen after update

I have a late 2015 27" iMac with fusion drive, currently Catalina 10.15.5. After almost every update, after restart there is a screen that is unresponsive to mouse clicks and keyboard return, no way to Continue. So I have to press and hold the power button and force a shutdown. Sometimes I have to do it twice. This happens both when the Siri screen is displayed (below), or the screen showing my name and avatar in the center with 3 options down below - sleep, restart, and continue. Sometimes using tab and the spacebar I have gotten to the password screen and was able to proceed. Been going on for about 2 years. Any remedy for this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 8:55 PM

Reset the NVRAM and restart in Safe Mode.

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

By chance do you have any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party "maintenance" apps installed on the computer?

Similar questions

15 replies

Jul 24, 2020 3:54 PM in response to Dogwood77

There is an excellent chance your issue is due to having the third party AV app Trusteer installed. The very best security, antivirus, cleaning and maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. If simply kept up-to-date and otherwise left alone Mac OS will remain secure and stable for years. Adding third party apps such as the types mentioned above will make Mac OS slow, unstable, appear buggy and offer "features" like you are experiencing now.

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for Trusteer and uninstall ASAP. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and finally restart normally and retest.

Your system also is starved for RAM, it should have 16GB or more of RAM. I would recommend buying either Crucial.com or Macsales.com RAM

Finally, I did not notice that you backup this computer, big problem and a 100% guarantee you will lose data.

Jun 11, 2020 7:56 PM in response to Dogwood77

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jul 24, 2020 3:04 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Okay, so resetting NVRAM did not solve this. Just installed the latest update and the problem persists, had to press and hold power button again. Here is the Pastebin report: https://pastebin.com/rkjVVPkG

In the name of accuracy, the mouse arrow is on the screen and I can move it around. But nothing on the screen is clickable. Enter, Tab, Spacebar - none of them help. It does turn into a white glove when I hover over "About Siri & Privacy..."

Aug 16, 2020 5:56 PM in response to Dogwood77

EDIT: It turns out that Rapport/Trusteer was not uninstalled.

But when I go to uninstall, I get "Uninstall Rapport.app can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software... Needs to be updated... Contact the developer". Everything I found on the web said to reinstall, in order to uninstall. But after re-installing, it does not show up in the Application folder and I am getting the same message (I probably deleted a relevant folder a while back). So the new question is how do I uninstall it manually. Should I just delete every folder or file with Rapport or Trusteer in the name? Pardon me while I put my face through a plate glass window.

Jun 11, 2020 11:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks. I followed the process to reset NVRAM. Guess I'll have to wait for the next update/s to see if it worked...

I didn't have an antivirus app installed. I do have CCleaner, but that isn't active unless I open it, not running in the background AFAIK. (I check Activity Monitor all the time.)

I do have a ton of Adobe programs installed (PS, LR, etc) and I know they have a ton of background processes always running, as seen in Act. Mon. - You think they could be a problem after update?

Jul 25, 2020 11:39 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ok, I removed Trusteer. Rebooted with no problem, both in safe mode and then normally. The real test will come after I install the next update. Fingers crossed.

Regarding RAM, I am going to add more. Currently have 8GB, max recommended for this machine is 32. Do you see any problem with me filling the 2 open slots w/ 16 cards, bringing the total to 40GB?

You're right. It is time for me to do back up. Will do that next.

Thanks! for all the help.

Unresponsive screen after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.