Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 13 inch 2019 screen randomly shutting off

Please take note that it's only the screen that is shutting off, Its does not restart the whole system. I went over to reset the SMC, but it only worked for a few or maybe not. It's when there is a sudden movement of the machine or when the screen is closed and opened after a few that is doesn't respond right away and screen is black not until you reopen the screen 2-3 times and click on the trackpad and/or power button. This is the 2nd MacBook which does the same. I returned the 1st one after two weeks of experiencing that to which I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina. This one is a day old as of today, which is pretty much the replacement of the returned one but with a higher storage cap and is still doing the same problem.

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 12:43 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Nov 24, 2019 1:09 PM in response to bigMAC_Genius

bigMAC_Genius wrote: macbook pro 13 inch 2019 screen randomly shutting off

Please take note that it's only the screen that is shutting off, Its does not restart the whole system. I went over to reset the SMC, but it only worked for a few or maybe not. It's when there is a sudden movement of the machine or when the screen is closed and opened after a few that is doesn't respond right away and screen is black not until you reopen the screen 2-3 times and click on the trackpad and/or power button.

This is the 2nd MacBook which does the same. I returned the 1st one after two weeks of experiencing that to which I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina.

This one is a day old as of today, which is pretty much the replacement of the returned one but with a higher storage cap and is still doing the same problem.

Hmmm...

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can run this utility http://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Dec 4, 2019 8:33 PM in response to bigMAC_Genius

Setting SMS to zero didn’t really solved this problem. But..!

Surprisingly, for those having the same issue, this one’s been posted yesterday (12/3/2019) by Apple Support. Currently charging my mac to 8hrs. Although I don’t think I wanted to upgrade to Catalina, I’ll install all available updates for Mojave and I’ll keep everybody posted. Thank you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210615

Dec 6, 2019 8:04 PM in response to bigMAC_Genius

What are the odds..

I tagged this thread as “SOLVED”, coz I thought it did, but IT DID NOT, there’s just no way I can take it back. I thought returning and getting another brand new piece of machine will take me away from this problem. Well, guess what...

YES, THIS 3RD MACBOOK PRO 2019 HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AND IS SO FRUSTRATING. Unless otherwise someone proved upgrading to Catalina solves this problem, i am not upgrading my mac to Catalina, I don’t think I want to add 10 more issues to my current one. It has to be an update specifically solving this problem. The solution they have on this link below DIDN’T WORK ON MY END. This problem has to be addressed. For the record, I returned 2 machines in a span of 3 weeks having the same issue. I’m very much looking forward to have this problem solved. Thank you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210615

Dec 1, 2019 1:10 PM in response to leroydouglas

Below is the message that came out after entering my Mac serial# to solid state drive service link you gave me.

And with the Etrecheck, no major issue found other than "No Time Machine Backup" and "Limited drive access" on minor issue. Also lately, I found my Mac having the same issue with MnMegaMan's post. Its whenever I first touch the left corner after I open it, computer shuts down. Same thing happens when I touch the left lower corner of the screen. Then computer won't turn back on in about 30 secs or so.

Dec 14, 2019 4:35 PM in response to bigMAC_Genius

So 4 days after I had this machine, I finally decided to upgrade to Catalina. Unfortunately, its still doing the same issue. Then I jumped over to the last resort, turned it over to Apple repair center. 4 days later, came back to me, apple technician didn’t do anything to fix it and just said:

WHAT A FREAKIN’ DUMB ***?!!

After Apple admits to the world that something’s wrong with their 2019 Macbook Pro, well I guess that technician should be able to know what’s wrong with my machine.

The way I see it after they told me nothing’s wrong with my machine, Apple didn’t seem to know what to do next if after the weird fix they posted on their web didn’t fix it.

And yes, I did send it back to Apple when right there in the Apple store, the representatives see with their own eyes, my machine does have a problem.

Comments?

Dec 5, 2019 8:47 PM in response to bigMAC_Genius

This didn't seem to solve the problem although I didn't upgrade to Catalina. With the one I returned right before I got this as replacement, I upgraded that to Catalina and having the same problem just made it worse. I think and I'm guessing, it has something to do with the hardware and not with the software. But what's strange is, its happening once every use or twice but with 2 different gestures. Its happening whenever I hold the left corner near the usb-c slots for the first time, and never again will it turn off no matter how I repeat the gesture. Turns back ON in about a minute or two. Same thing happens whenever I place it on top of my chest while lying on bed.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Dec 18, 2019 10:42 PM in response to bigMAC_Genius

Today my mac was given back to me with the same alibi and same freakin’ unsolved issue. This is just BS. This is the 3rd mac having the sane issue that was handed over to me in the past 6 weeks.

Well I guess I’m done & I’ll just return it tomorrow. I don’t think I’ll be getting a mac in the next 2-3yrs, I’ll let this one pass.

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED. Thank you.

macbook pro 13 inch 2019 screen randomly shutting off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.