Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1419), never ever shuts down cleanly

I have searched google and bing for help on this but there are no definitive answers.

My Microsoft managed and owned MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1419) lost the ability to shut down cleanly. Every time I shut it down the same thing happens:

1. All UI except for the Catalina background image disappears.
  2. A spinner is spinning in the middle of the screen.
  3. If left in this state it will sit indefinitely.
  4. I press and hold the TouchId pad to force shutdown.
  5. The next boot, I must clear the "Your mac shut down because of a problem..." dialog.

Prior to this problem, I was able to shut down the MacBook Pro cleanly. Please help.

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 10:02 AM

edburns_msft wrote:

Already did! Dig their response.

Hi, In regards to your device issue. Because we have limited support on apple hardware issues, the apple care support team will need to be contacted to trouble shoot your device. Please find the link attached below with the apple care support information.

https://support.apple.com/contact

So, here I am. I wanted to ask the community before using the paid support.

The simplest resolve is don't shut down if that is the issue. Simply close the lid and let it sleep...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.

For fun you can run the etrecheck—To get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 10:02 AM in response to edburns_msft

edburns_msft wrote:

Hi, In regards to your device issue. Because we have limited support on apple hardware issues, the apple care support team will need to be contacted to trouble shoot your device. Please find the link attached below with the apple care support information.

The simplest resolve is don't shut down if that is the issue. Simply close the lid and let it sleep...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.

For fun you can run the etrecheck—To get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Oct 21, 2021 9:51 AM in response to leroydouglas

Oct 21, 2021 9:26 AM in response to edburns_msft

edburns_msft wrote:

1. I have searched google and bing for help on this but there are no definitive answers.

My Microsoft managed and owned MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1419) lost the ability to shut down cleanly. Every time I shut it down the same thing happens:
All UI except for the Catalina background image disappears.
2. A spinner is spinning in the middle of the screen.
3. If left in this state it will sit indefinitely.
4. I press and hold the TouchId pad to force shutdown.
5. The next boot, I must clear the "Your mac shut down because of a problem..." dialog.
Prior to this problem, I was able to shut down the MacBook Pro cleanly. Please help.

This would be a good question for your Microsoft managed IT department...

You are at the mercy of their deployment.

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

https://support.microsoft.com

Oct 21, 2021 10:53 AM in response to edburns_msft

It sounds like your computer is crashing during shutdown.

Kernel Panic Reports are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to where those reports are stored.

They are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful.

There are three quick take-aways from any panic report.

1) The panic-reason,

2) the extensions present at the "scene of the crime", and

3) the BSD process in which the problem occurred.

One more item that is important is the names of any third-party Extensions you have added. They are shown FIRST in the extensions loaded section

————

Take look at your other reports. What you are trying to determine is whether there is a TREND.

Case A) There is a trend: This same panic occurs in each case, with the same extensions present, in the same BSD process. A trend can indicate corrupted software or a Hardware problem that can be tracked down and solved.

Case B) There is a decided NON-Trend. The panics occur "all over the Map" for different panic reasons and in different BSD processes, with different extensions present.

A Non-trend suggests you may have RAM memory problems. MacOS slightly randomizes the load point of key routines on each startup, as a hedge against fixed-address attacks. This causes a marginal memory cell to move into different routines each time your Mac starts up.

If the above is just "word-salad" to you, just ask and Readers can explain a bit more.

Oct 22, 2021 1:15 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hello Grant Bennet-Alder,

Thanks for your reply. I see no panics, but I do see shutdownStall and crash.

dlp_agent_2021-10-16-000513_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-16-123323_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-19-214726_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-19-215005_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-20-090039_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-21-074044_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-21-074140_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-21-114658_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-21-121206_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-21-133334_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
dlp_agent_2021-10-22-085334_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash
shutdown_stall_2021-10-15-212210_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-16-013249_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-16-142304_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-19-223413_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-20-232957_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-21-080107_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-21-120533_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-21-133033_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-21-133229_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall
shutdown_stall_2021-10-21-232428_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.shutdownStall

The stall files appear to be base64 encoded binaries. The first line is "Spindump binary format".

The crash files look like stack traces. Every one of them contains this line:

dlp_agent_2021-10-22-085334_Edwards-MacBook-Pro.crash:Crashed Thread:        
1  Dispatch queue: com.microsoft.stdext.normal

So this may be a matter for Microsoft support after all.

But what do I make of those stall files?

Thanks,

Ed

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1419), never ever shuts down cleanly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.