Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exported photos are given the wrong date

Photos exports photos and gives them a creation timestamp of the moment you exported the photo. This is just silly. The exif data in the inspector shows no sign of knowing when the original photo was taken. That information exists within Photos, so why it doesn't properly export the photo is beyond me. (Man I miss Aperture!!)

The same thing happens with videos, but I figured out that if you export the "unmodified original", it would retain the timestamp of when the video is taken. For photos, this isn't possible if I have edited the photo's appearance and want that exported.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 1:46 AM

If you update the Mac to Mojave or Catalina, you should be able o see the exif capture date in the Finder, even for edited versions of photos, but not as the file creation date. An exported new version of a photo is a new file, it is not the original, and the Finder's "Date Created" reflects the date, when the file has been rendered. Actually, I am finding this useful for edited versions, so I can keep track of the different versions of the photo and can see, which edited version is the current one.

For example, I just exported the edited version of a photo, taken last year. The Finder in macOS Catalina is showing all relevant dates, including the Capture Date (Inhalt erstellt - content created):

When I want the edited version go show the capture date as the file creation date in the Finder, I am using the application "Raw Right Away". It includes a service, that can be called from the contextual menu in the Finder to change the creation date to the captured date. Graphic Converter 10 also offers this service.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 1:46 AM in response to chewters

If you update the Mac to Mojave or Catalina, you should be able o see the exif capture date in the Finder, even for edited versions of photos, but not as the file creation date. An exported new version of a photo is a new file, it is not the original, and the Finder's "Date Created" reflects the date, when the file has been rendered. Actually, I am finding this useful for edited versions, so I can keep track of the different versions of the photo and can see, which edited version is the current one.

For example, I just exported the edited version of a photo, taken last year. The Finder in macOS Catalina is showing all relevant dates, including the Capture Date (Inhalt erstellt - content created):

When I want the edited version go show the capture date as the file creation date in the Finder, I am using the application "Raw Right Away". It includes a service, that can be called from the contextual menu in the Finder to change the creation date to the captured date. Graphic Converter 10 also offers this service.

Jun 11, 2020 8:21 AM in response to léonie

I can't update my computer past High Sierra... so that won't help me much. But, I did import the photo exported from Photos into Aperture, which does have an EXIF viewer, and was able to confirm that Photos did code the EXIF data correctly, phew! I think I would still rather that the basic file data use the date the image was created as the "Created" field, and use the "Modified" field for the date of export.

Exported photos are given the wrong date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.