Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 15 2015 trottling

Hello community.

So I have an issue with my 2015 macbook pro 15 laptop.

I have an issue with trottling.

I worked 2 years on this configuration - macbook + 2 external displays. And all was ok. Suddenly, my laptop got huge performance issue - 0.8 Ghz proc frequency when I plugged in my external monitors.

When i switch of them - my mac recovers and works fine. Whats wrong can be? I run system check (PWR+D button) - there are no issues. Also I updated the system from 15.4 to 15.5 and again, no results.

Laptop: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB + Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

1 monitor: MSI MAG341C1

2 monitor: LG27BK75Y0

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 11:42 AM

One or both of those monitors (or a cable or adapter) is causing power issues with the laptop. If a laptop doesn't get sufficient power for any reason the CPUs will run at their base speed of 800MHz. Make sure your battery is healthy by running the Apple Diagnostics and also checking the battery condition by Option-clicking the battery icon on the menubar. Any condition other than "Normal" or "Good" indicates the battery should be replaced. Also check your power adapters and cables.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

Either the monitor(s) (and cables/adapters) are the source of the problem or they are just showing you a hidden fault with the laptop.

Try disconnecting all other external devices. Also try one monitor at a time.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 11:42 AM in response to ravenzakmoto

One or both of those monitors (or a cable or adapter) is causing power issues with the laptop. If a laptop doesn't get sufficient power for any reason the CPUs will run at their base speed of 800MHz. Make sure your battery is healthy by running the Apple Diagnostics and also checking the battery condition by Option-clicking the battery icon on the menubar. Any condition other than "Normal" or "Good" indicates the battery should be replaced. Also check your power adapters and cables.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

Either the monitor(s) (and cables/adapters) are the source of the problem or they are just showing you a hidden fault with the laptop.

Try disconnecting all other external devices. Also try one monitor at a time.

macbook pro 15 2015 trottling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.