Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Is there a fix to kernel_task high cpu when connecting external monitor

There are a lot of forum posts showing similar issues such as

and more ...

I have an intel macbook air with ventura 13.2.1 and with the new OS updates I have seen several software compatibilities problems and degradations.

One of them being that I cannot connect an external monitor or the kernel_task process starts claiming 600+% of resources :)

With this most likely being a software issue that apple should address could you please confirm what to look into? I have tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM but made no difference.

The laptop becomes useless when i connect to the external monitor so hopefully someone here can help to point out the fix.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 10:07 AM

First, you should update macOS since you are several updates behind now as Ventura is now at 13.4.

Next, disconnect all devices connected to the external Display(s).

If you still have the issue, then disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem or a compatibility issue with the display.

Make sure to connect the display directly to the Mac. And try another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop. And like @etresoft mentions, try another cable and adapter for the monitor. And try using another video input on the external display. If you are using USB-C on the display, then try HDMI or DVI/VGA depending on the options to see if it makes any difference. FYI, not all USB-C ports on the monitors are the same so make sure to check the documentation for the external display to make sure you are connecting it properly (same goes for cables & adapters).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 10:07 AM in response to bizmate

First, you should update macOS since you are several updates behind now as Ventura is now at 13.4.

Next, disconnect all devices connected to the external Display(s).

If you still have the issue, then disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem or a compatibility issue with the display.

Make sure to connect the display directly to the Mac. And try another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop. And like @etresoft mentions, try another cable and adapter for the monitor. And try using another video input on the external display. If you are using USB-C on the display, then try HDMI or DVI/VGA depending on the options to see if it makes any difference. FYI, not all USB-C ports on the monitors are the same so make sure to check the documentation for the external display to make sure you are connecting it properly (same goes for cables & adapters).

Jul 19, 2023 6:19 PM in response to HWTech

• OS update done. This seemed to solve the problem initially. I.E the kernel process does not spike up instantly when the adapter is connected. However, eventually whilst using the mac the process goes up again and machine becomes unresponsive
  • I have a macbook air with only 2 USB-C on the left side and connecting external things like usb pens, monitors, ethernet, SD cards etc using an adapter. I have never experienced with this machine the problem of using this adapter in several occasions especially with USB connected devices but also with the same monitor in the past.
  • I am using HDMI from the monitor to the adapter and the adapter to the USB-C on the Air. I guess i can try the DVI however I have used the same setup in the past, same cable to port to same MacbookAir with older OS, and not once I remember having to unplug the monitor because a process spikes up due to unforeseen circumstances.

Is there a fix to kernel_task high cpu when connecting external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.