Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Hard Disk Got Locked For Some Reason

What causes the hard drive of the iMac to get locked? Like if it gets locked while trying to start up, reinstall or upgrade? I had to erase the hard drive and reinstall High Sierra. When I shut down the computer to upgrade the OS in recovery mode, the hard drive was greyed out and Disk Utility said that it was locked.

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 2:39 PM

iMacWantsYourHelp Said:

iMac Hard Disk Got Locked For Some Reason.: Ever since I erased my drive, I haven't installed any security software on the computer. Before the drive locked, I don't even remember installing any security software on the computer.

———-

A Few Thoughts:

• Discovering Security Software:

I would not know, but maybe something was installed. If you have a Time Machine, of this Mac, from prior to all of this, then you could find out by using Migration Assistant. Select “Applications” as if you were to transfer an app over. Do not transfer it, but maybe something was installed.

• Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Malwarebytes for Mac was developed by longtime users of these forums making it the the only reliable Security Software for Macs. Use it to run a scan for malware and remove what is found.

Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malware is short for: Malicious SoftwareIt makes you computer act in a mislead manor.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

• Getting the Drive Serviced:

The drive may have become corrupted, and, if that is the case, see if you can have this looked at. If no local Apple Store is open nearby, then take it to a local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). So, to find out your local options, go here:

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 2:39 PM in response to iMacWantsYourHelp

iMacWantsYourHelp Said:

iMac Hard Disk Got Locked For Some Reason.: Ever since I erased my drive, I haven't installed any security software on the computer. Before the drive locked, I don't even remember installing any security software on the computer.

———-

A Few Thoughts:

• Discovering Security Software:

I would not know, but maybe something was installed. If you have a Time Machine, of this Mac, from prior to all of this, then you could find out by using Migration Assistant. Select “Applications” as if you were to transfer an app over. Do not transfer it, but maybe something was installed.

• Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Malwarebytes for Mac was developed by longtime users of these forums making it the the only reliable Security Software for Macs. Use it to run a scan for malware and remove what is found.

Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malware is short for: Malicious SoftwareIt makes you computer act in a mislead manor.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

• Getting the Drive Serviced:

The drive may have become corrupted, and, if that is the case, see if you can have this looked at. If no local Apple Store is open nearby, then take it to a local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). So, to find out your local options, go here:

Jun 11, 2020 1:22 PM in response to iMacWantsYourHelp

iMacWantsYourHelp Said:

I had to start over. I am using my Mac right now. It's still working. I still don't understand why the drive locked.

———-

Any Security Software Installed?

If you have Security Software installed, uninstall it. Get the Uninstaller from the Developer and nowhere else. Elsewise, you may end up installing malware or spyware on your Mac.

Security Software is unnecessary on a Mac. It just gets in the way, and this is a pure example of how and why. Some have the option of locking the hard drive should suspicious activity occur.

iMac Hard Disk Got Locked For Some Reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.