Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac slow

Hi

My imac has become very slow-it takes forever to boot up, open email or web pages. Usually, after it has opened it will work ok.

It is five years old and I am thinking of replacing it, but I am afraid that if it has a bug of some kind, when I move the files over from the old one to the new one, the bug will be moved with it, and the issue will persist.

I am using a vpn if that it an issue.

The etre check program has been uploaded.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 12:13 PM

The "bug" is entry-level hardware. The model has a laptop processor that runs at less than half the sped of the next model up that year. Yours is the one with the arrow:

However, you also have a lot of "burdenware" that should not be moved to a new computer:

• VPNs usually slow you down.
  • Remove Adguard. It will competes with MalwareBytes and the mac OS.
  • Something called called "SecureMac is lurking. You don't need that stuff.
  • You have at least two mom-Apple online backup schemes. One is bad enough.
  • If you use DivX, updated it to current. If not, dump it. There is some evidence that out-dated versions os DivX can slow performance.

I would not spend money on this Mac. No one, not even Apple, can add RAM and the hard drive is as slow and entry-level as the processor.

If you get a new one. AVOID any with a mechanical hard drive, Save up for the SSD if possible. Get a minimum of 16GB RAM—that is as much "future-proofing" as you can do.

If you get a 27-inch model you can add RAM to that later. increasing RAM in any 21.5-inch model made since 2012 is simply not practical.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 12:13 PM in response to Richard Miller3

The "bug" is entry-level hardware. The model has a laptop processor that runs at less than half the sped of the next model up that year. Yours is the one with the arrow:

However, you also have a lot of "burdenware" that should not be moved to a new computer:

• VPNs usually slow you down.
  • Remove Adguard. It will competes with MalwareBytes and the mac OS.
  • Something called called "SecureMac is lurking. You don't need that stuff.
  • You have at least two mom-Apple online backup schemes. One is bad enough.
  • If you use DivX, updated it to current. If not, dump it. There is some evidence that out-dated versions os DivX can slow performance.

I would not spend money on this Mac. No one, not even Apple, can add RAM and the hard drive is as slow and entry-level as the processor.

If you get a new one. AVOID any with a mechanical hard drive, Save up for the SSD if possible. Get a minimum of 16GB RAM—that is as much "future-proofing" as you can do.

If you get a 27-inch model you can add RAM to that later. increasing RAM in any 21.5-inch model made since 2012 is simply not practical.

Jun 11, 2020 12:58 PM in response to Richard Miller3

Sorry Richard, I got interrupted before I got to the "let's see if we can make this one work better for you" part. If you are willing to put about US$100 into this one, an external solid state drive (SSD) will help with the slow boot and load issues you mention.

To work, the enclosure needs to be rated USB 3 and the SSD inside must be rated SATA 6GBps. It is often easier to know you got the right specs if you buy the enclosure and the SSD separately and assemble yourself. That takes about 3 minutes.

Your current internal drive is moving data as about 60MB/s. The above combination will do it at about 400MB/s. That makes very apparent difference in boot and launch times.

It's not money lost because, if you later decide to get a new computer, the external drive will work for regular backups or extended storage.

If this appeals, post back and I can give you what would be my shopping list and how to pull it off. No iMac take-apart is required.

Jun 12, 2020 12:50 PM in response to Richard Miller3

You are most welcome.

Allow me to repost what I said yesterday:

"If you get a new one. AVOID any with a mechanical hard drive, Save up for the SSD if possible. Get a minimum of 16GB RAM—that is as much "future-proofing" as you can do."

I should add that, if you get a 2019 27", RAM is user upgradeable so you can ad later. We have no idea whether that will be the case with unreleased models.

imac slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.