Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to Relocate Sound Libraries back into Mac

I wanted to restore MacOS. So before the restore I had relocated the Logic Pro X 10.5 sound library to an external drive(obviously, with a vision to relocate it back when I'm done with MacOS restore). Unfortunately when I'm clicking on the Relocate Sound Library button a window is opening and there is a list of 2 devices there one is Macintosh HD and another on is my external HDD. But both of them have been greyed out. I'm not able to click on Macintosh HD to relocate my sound library back in MacBook Pro. And it is showing that I have "Current Sound Library Files Location" beside Macintosh HD. However I do not have any sounds installed as of now. I have stopped the download of the new sounds. Even the essential sounds.

Please help!!!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 1:40 PM

The link is lost.

The next steps depends on the actual state of your setup. What is the exact content and folder structure on the external drive. Do you see a Library folder?

The approach can look like this:

• On the external drive: Rename the Library folder to a temporary name. Let say "TEMP".
  • Let Logic download all the Essential Sounds.
  • In Logic Use the Relocate Sound Library command to relocate the Library on the external drive. This create a new Library folder on the external drive.
  • Quit Logic. Command-Q.
  • On the external drive: Rename this new Library folder. Let say to "NEW".
  • On the external drive: Rename the "TEMP" folder to "Library".
  • Start Logic. How things look now?

Warning: The above procedure depends on what exactly is on the external drive.

There are other approaches but they require more knowledge.

WD

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 1:40 PM in response to Razor22

The link is lost.

The next steps depends on the actual state of your setup. What is the exact content and folder structure on the external drive. Do you see a Library folder?

The approach can look like this:

• On the external drive: Rename the Library folder to a temporary name. Let say "TEMP".
  • Let Logic download all the Essential Sounds.
  • In Logic Use the Relocate Sound Library command to relocate the Library on the external drive. This create a new Library folder on the external drive.
  • Quit Logic. Command-Q.
  • On the external drive: Rename this new Library folder. Let say to "NEW".
  • On the external drive: Rename the "TEMP" folder to "Library".
  • Start Logic. How things look now?

Warning: The above procedure depends on what exactly is on the external drive.

There are other approaches but they require more knowledge.

WD

Jun 11, 2020 12:37 PM in response to Razor22

If Logic started to download the Essential Sounds, it means the link to the Library on the external drive is lost. Something happened after the use of the Relocate Sound Library command. The Library is now located on the local drive.

Regarding the macOS restore it is easier to just restore a backup of the Sound Library if you even need to.

WD

Jun 13, 2020 1:58 AM in response to Razor22

As someone mentioned, if you relocated the library but then restored the system, the link is obviously lost. Logic was reverted to before the library was relocated so expects it to be in its original location, which is not, so it tries to download again.

You can stop the download, or install just the essential sounds if not possible to stop and then simply copy each library folder back to overwrite the current minimal library. When started, Logic will detect that they are installed, it simply checks for the existence of sounds, there is not an installation file that needs to be there.

Alternatively, you can leave it where it is, or organise it in any way you want (as long as you keep the original file and folder names: "Apple Loops", "Alchemy Samples", "EXS24 Samples" etc), delete corresponding folders in the original location and put symbolic links (not aliases) instead. This is what I've done and I freed up a tone of space on the main drive, just the programs there, and the big libraries on external SSD/HDD. Logic will see them just fine and even install updates in the correct location on the external drive.

Hope this helps.

Jun 17, 2020 2:42 AM in response to Wilddrums

Thanks a lot. I was able to relocate my library. However, I have one new issue popping up. When I relocated my 79 Gb worth of library back into my computer. It is still asking me to download some 48 GB worth of data more from the internet. As far as I know, the logic sound library is not more than some 83-84 Gb. Why is this asking me to download so much of data again?????

Not able to Relocate Sound Libraries back into Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.