Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 10 on Mac - Problem with TOC on New Templates

I am trying to insert a Table of Contents in a Pages document. I tried some of the new templates - like photo book. I want a TOC so I checked Document Body in the Document tab. I formatted the headings on the pages that I want to appear in the TOC. The "View" button/TOC shows all of the headings that I want in the TOC. However, when I click "Insert," I receive the message, "The table of contents is empty because you aren't using the paragraph styles set to appear in it.

The TOC works if I use a basic template. But not in the new ones I tried. Looks like that you can't reset the document body to enable the auto TOC feature.

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 6:56 AM

Hi Carl,

The photo book template opens a Page Layout document.

You can tell from Menu > File > Convert to Word Processing.

If you choose that menu item, it will insert a Document Body (just the same as your approach, ticking Document Body in the Document tab).

A Table of Contents will only recognise paragraphs within the document body. It ignores entries within Text Boxes.

Regards,

Ian.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2020 6:56 AM in response to CarlGrz

Hi Carl,

The photo book template opens a Page Layout document.

You can tell from Menu > File > Convert to Word Processing.

If you choose that menu item, it will insert a Document Body (just the same as your approach, ticking Document Body in the Document tab).

A Table of Contents will only recognise paragraphs within the document body. It ignores entries within Text Boxes.

Regards,

Ian.

Jun 12, 2020 6:29 PM in response to CarlGrz

"The table of contents is empty because you aren't using the paragraph styles set to appear in it."

Can't offer you any tested specifics, as I'm not using Catalina or Pages 10.

The TOC in a Pages document usually uses a "Headings" paragraph style as the marker for items to be included in the table. Have you entered this information in paragraphs which have been set to a style defined as a Header style?

Regards,

Barry

Pages 10 on Mac - Problem with TOC on New Templates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.