Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 2019 not generating table of contents

Trying to generate a table of contents in Pages (the latest version updated this year) using Apple's instructions (see below) but keep getting the error message: "The table of contents is empty because you are not using the paragraph styles set to appear in it."

But I did go through each chapter heading and applied a Heading format. Is there an extra step, such as where it says in the instructions below "...then enable the Heading style for the TOC"? Enable it how? I have also tried to copy the whole document, start a new file and rename it, but still doesn't work, so I guess I'm missing a step.

The TOC is based on paragraph styles used in your document. For example, if you apply the Heading paragraph style to your chapter titles, then enable the Heading style for the TOC, those chapter titles appear in the TOC. As you edit your content, the TOC updates automatically.

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 7:45 PM

I solved the problem. I applied paragraph styles to the body of the document and went back and reformatted the headings. Finally, a table of contents was created.

1 reply

Pages 2019 not generating table of contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.