Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages table of contents

I'm following the procedure to create a table of contents in Pages and I keep getting the note "The table of contents is empty because you aren't using the paragraph styles set to appear in it." Nowhere does the help app talk about this issue. What am I doing wrong?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 11:08 AM

Click on the Table of Contents, and a new tab will appear on the right panel that will allow you to choose the paragraph styles that you wish to show in the TOC. Once you have selected these, the TOC will populate where those styles are used.

Excerpted from the Pages User Guide, Create a table of contents in Pages on Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 11:08 AM in response to coolhanduke

Click on the Table of Contents, and a new tab will appear on the right panel that will allow you to choose the paragraph styles that you wish to show in the TOC. Once you have selected these, the TOC will populate where those styles are used.

Excerpted from the Pages User Guide, Create a table of contents in Pages on Mac.

Pages table of contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.