Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble creating backup for iPad Mini

I'm trying to create a back-up of my father-in-law's ancient iPad (running IOS 9.3.6) so that I can use that to set up his new one. But iTunes seems to be reading the iPad as a new device and won't give me the option to create a back-up. All I get is the options for setting up a new device. Same problem on my Mac, running the latest version of Catalina.

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 3:32 AM

Your very old first generation iPad mini can only be updated to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular models).

Apple ended update support for iPad mini in September 2016. The iPad mini1 cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later major versions of iOS, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS. This limitation cannot be bypassed - in addition to which, iPad mini is a 32-bit architecture device, whilst all recent versions of iOS/iPadOS are designed for 64-bit hardware platforms.

iTunes should recognise the iPad. Ensure that you have updated iTunes to the most recent version. If still experiencing connection issues, this support page may be help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204095

As an alternative, have you considered using iCloud for the backup? This backup can be used to restore data to a new iPad.

I hope this information and additional guidance might prove to be helpful.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2020 3:32 AM in response to Robcase

Your very old first generation iPad mini can only be updated to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular models).

Apple ended update support for iPad mini in September 2016. The iPad mini1 cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later major versions of iOS, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS. This limitation cannot be bypassed - in addition to which, iPad mini is a 32-bit architecture device, whilst all recent versions of iOS/iPadOS are designed for 64-bit hardware platforms.

iTunes should recognise the iPad. Ensure that you have updated iTunes to the most recent version. If still experiencing connection issues, this support page may be help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204095

As an alternative, have you considered using iCloud for the backup? This backup can be used to restore data to a new iPad.

I hope this information and additional guidance might prove to be helpful.

Trouble creating backup for iPad Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.