Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup manually installed iPad to MacBook

I recently bought a new iPad Air 4th generation because the old one crashed. As I didn't have the right cable to connect to my MacBook, I decided to installed is a new iPad directly on the device.

I have have the right cable to connect it and want to create a backup on my MacBook. The issue now is, that when I locate the Ipad in Finder, I only have an option to Install as new device or Restore from a previous device.

How can I override this and create a new backup of my new device?

Thanks

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 7:44 AM

Hello dorthe81,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about backing up your new iPad using your MacBook.

When prompted you will want to select the option to set up your iPad as a new device. That option will not erase any information from your iPad, and will allow you to move forward with your iPad in its current state.

Afterwards, you should then be able to make a backup using your MacBook: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with your Mac

Hopefully that addresses your concerns, and gets you on the path to backing up your new iPad.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 7:44 AM in response to dorthe81

Hello dorthe81,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about backing up your new iPad using your MacBook.

When prompted you will want to select the option to set up your iPad as a new device. That option will not erase any information from your iPad, and will allow you to move forward with your iPad in its current state.

Afterwards, you should then be able to make a backup using your MacBook: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with your Mac

Hopefully that addresses your concerns, and gets you on the path to backing up your new iPad.

Take care.

Backup manually installed iPad to MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.