Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new iPad. It's set up the way I want it. I just connected it for the first time to my MacBook Pro. I want to see what's on the iPad on my macbook's Finder, but it asks if I want to restore from this backup, whatever that means, or

I have a new iPad. It's set up the way I want it. I just connected it for the first time to my MacBook Pro. I want to see what's on the iPad on my macbook's Finder, but it asks if I want to "restore from this backup", whatever that means, or "setup as a new device". What should I do?

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 8:36 AM

That is a very confusing message in my opinion. The "setup as new" means it will set it up as a new device syncing to that computer -- not that it will erase the device.

When connecting an iPad or iPhone to computer iTunes for the first time, you will get the choice to restore from backup or setup as new; the setup as new choice does nothing to the iPhone or iPad (i.e., it does not erase the device -- however another user here in this forum has noted that if any data was previously synced from another computer to the device, that data will be removed from the device.).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 8:36 AM in response to FarleyDoDah

That is a very confusing message in my opinion. The "setup as new" means it will set it up as a new device syncing to that computer -- not that it will erase the device.

When connecting an iPad or iPhone to computer iTunes for the first time, you will get the choice to restore from backup or setup as new; the setup as new choice does nothing to the iPhone or iPad (i.e., it does not erase the device -- however another user here in this forum has noted that if any data was previously synced from another computer to the device, that data will be removed from the device.).

I have a new iPad. It's set up the way I want it. I just connected it for the first time to my MacBook Pro. I want to see what's on the iPad on my macbook's Finder, but it asks if I want to restore from this backup, whatever that means, or

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.