Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro will not backup to iMac

In the past when I connected my iPad Pro (v16.2) to my iMac (v10.15.7) I was able to sync and backup the iPad. Now in the Finder window I only get a message that says "If you are experiencing problems with your iPad, you can restore its original settings by clicking Restore iPad." But I don't want to wipe it, I just want to back it up.

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 6:48 PM

Chris Fielder,

Thanks for giving those steps a try. To help isolate the issue further, we'd like to have you test the issue in safe mode.

This can help determine if the issue may be caused by some software that has loaded when starting your iMac. For steps on how to boot into safe mode, and what to do if the issue does or doesn't occur in safe mode, check out this link here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

In the meantime, if you need to create a backup you could create a backup in iCloud. For steps on how to backup your iPad with iCloud, take a look at this next resource: How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Go to Settings > [your name], and tap iCloud.
3. Tap iCloud Backup.
4. Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process ends. Under Back Up Now, you'll see the date and time of your last backup. If you get an alert that you don't have enough iCloud storage space to complete the backup, follow the onscreen steps to upgrade your iCloud storage.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2022 6:48 PM in response to Chris Fielder

Chris Fielder,

Thanks for giving those steps a try. To help isolate the issue further, we'd like to have you test the issue in safe mode.

This can help determine if the issue may be caused by some software that has loaded when starting your iMac. For steps on how to boot into safe mode, and what to do if the issue does or doesn't occur in safe mode, check out this link here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

In the meantime, if you need to create a backup you could create a backup in iCloud. For steps on how to backup your iPad with iCloud, take a look at this next resource: How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Go to Settings > [your name], and tap iCloud.
3. Tap iCloud Backup.
4. Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process ends. Under Back Up Now, you'll see the date and time of your last backup. If you get an alert that you don't have enough iCloud storage space to complete the backup, follow the onscreen steps to upgrade your iCloud storage.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

Dec 20, 2022 3:39 PM in response to Chris Fielder

Hello Chris Fielder,

Make sure you are following the correct steps to create a backup of your iPad. You can look over the steps here: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with your Mac. Make sure to follow the steps as they appear, in the order which they appear.

Back up with the Finder

1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open a Finder window.
2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable.
3. If asked for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode.
4. Select your device on your computerLearn what to do if your device doesn't appear on your computer.
5. If you want to save Health and Activity data from your device or Apple Watch, you need to encrypt your backup. Select the "Encrypt local backup" checkbox and create a memorable password.

Save your password somewhere safe, because there's no way to recover your backups without this password.

6. Click Back Up Now.
A Finder window showing an iPhone backup in progress.

7. When the process ends, you can see if the backup finished successfully. You'll see the date and time of your last backup.
A Finder window with the date and time of the last backup magnified above the Manage Backups button.

We hope this information helps you out.

Cheers!

Dec 20, 2022 6:32 PM in response to genieen16

Hi genieen16,

Thanks for the reply. Those are exactly the steps I followed, but instead of the usual backup options and the graphic in the Finder window showing how the internal disc is being used, I ONLY had text offering to restore the iPad and a button saying Restore. I am able to back up my 3rd gen iPhone SE to the same computer just fine. There’s something about the iPad it doesn’t like.

Dec 21, 2022 12:02 AM in response to Chris_V89

Hi Chris_V89,

Thanks for your help. I booted into safe mode, which I have not done on this computer for many years, and it was a disconcerting experience. The graphics I saw when the login screen finally came up were psychedelic, with colors reversed and bizarre. I was able to login normally, but graphics continued to be weird. I took screenshots to document what I was seeing, but when I looked at them after a normal restart they looked fine, not at all what I had seen at the time. Also, no power was coming from my USB ports while in safe mode. I hooked on the iPad and an iPhone using USB cables, and neither started to charge or mounted on the desktop. I then left the devices hooked on, and did a normal restart. Once the boot up was complete both devices started to charge and mounted on the desktop. This time I was able to back up the iPad to the iMac with no problem. I'm going to consider this issue solved for the moment, but I'm not anxious to see that version of safe mode again. Maybe something was repaired or reset during the safe mode boot up. I'm going to go with that for now.

Again, thanks for your help,

Chris

Dec 21, 2022 6:58 AM in response to Chris Fielder

Hello Chris Fielder,

Safe mode may take a bit longer than usual since it prevents some software from loading and does a check of your startup disk. Safe mode can also demonstrate the graphic anomalies you saw as well. Many times, when start your Mac safe mode, the issues are resolved by this simple step.

In any case, we’re glad you were able to backup your iPad to your Mac.  Feel free to reach back out if you have any further questions or issues with an Apple device or service.

All the best.

iPad Pro will not backup to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.