Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot login on icloud anymore with verification code.

I cannot login to icloud from my laptop, even though I have no problem getting verification codes on my iPhone. Strangely, though, I get the verification code both on my iPhone and on my laptop. I have no problem login in from my iPhone. The problem is only from my laptop. When I enter the verification code, I am back at the login page. I know it's the right login and password, because if I try purposely entering a wrong one I get an overlay box "Your Apple Id or password was incorrect".

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 1:03 AM

Very erratic! I closed my Chrome browser, reopened it, and tried again to login. I still got the "Do you trust this device?" with the 3 choices "Trust", "Not now", "Don't trust". I chose again "trust". This time I got in! So I signed out. I get a prompt "Sign Out of iCloud.com?" with choices "Sign out", "Cancel", and "Trust and Sign Out". I clicked on "Trust and Sign Out". Then I tried again to login. I got back to the same problem (Verification code sent and entered, then back at the login page). Tried a second time, and now I got in. This is crazy.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 1:03 AM in response to behaas

Very erratic! I closed my Chrome browser, reopened it, and tried again to login. I still got the "Do you trust this device?" with the 3 choices "Trust", "Not now", "Don't trust". I chose again "trust". This time I got in! So I signed out. I get a prompt "Sign Out of iCloud.com?" with choices "Sign out", "Cancel", and "Trust and Sign Out". I clicked on "Trust and Sign Out". Then I tried again to login. I got back to the same problem (Verification code sent and entered, then back at the login page). Tried a second time, and now I got in. This is crazy.

Jun 12, 2020 8:52 PM in response to behaas

If you enter the wrong Apple ID and password while logging it will always prompt that it's incorrect , so its normal ( the account is secured from server ) .

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202303

Two-factor authentication

With two-factor authentication, your account can only be accessed on devices you trust, like your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. When you want to sign in with your Apple ID on a new device the first time, you need to provide two pieces of information—your password and the six-digit verification code that's auto-displayed on your trusted devices.

Use of secure tokens for authentication

When you access iCloud services with Apple’s built-in apps (for example, Mail, Contacts, and Calendar apps on iOS or macOS), authentication is handled using a secure token. Secure tokens eliminate the need to store your iCloud password on devices and computers.

Jun 16, 2020 1:40 AM in response to behaas

I can't say about chrome as not using it , if you are signed in with safari browser .

Some scenarios are created ( a ) if Mac and iPhone are connected with usb cable on the same network having same Apple ID and password say Apple ID is example1@icloud.com and you sign in at www.icoud.com the Apple ID is set up with 2FA and the trusted number is verified .

see these screen shots .

The same map window will appear on iPhone , if you go to iPhone and click on allow the verification code appears over iPhone , come to Mac enter the code , the account is accessed .

( b ) if the Mac is not signed in with same Apple ID and password with iPhone , enter the credentials , sometimes it prompts to enter admin password , enter it access the account .

If you click on cancel , enter manually the Apple ID the password is automatically filled up , as iCloud Keychain is set up in Mac , if code is not displayed , click on resend code , the account is accessed .

( c ) , if you don't want to use these methods , from Mac itself open system preferences > click on Apple ID icon > in password and security section click on get a verification code , with the help of code access iCloud.com , entering the credentials .

In you case if you click on trust this device the next time you won't be prompted to enter code using latest versions of iPhone ( the device is accepted and trusted ) the server assumes for sure that right credentials are signed in by the right account holder .

Jun 16, 2020 12:29 AM in response to tygb

Yes, I am talking about the 2-factor authentication. My laptop is not a new device. It should be trusted. This 2-factor authentication thing used to work ok until recently. It just stop working suddenly. One of the strange thing is that the verification code is sent to both that same laptop and my iPhone. Which ever I use, once I enter the verification code, I am bluntly back at the same "Sign in to icloud" page, without any hint (like the type of overlay hint when I enter the wrong login or password).

Jun 16, 2020 12:47 AM in response to behaas

Something new: I managed to login from Safari, but the problem persists on Chrome. After successful login from Safari, it was slightly different. Instead of falling back directly in the login page, I had the "Do you trust this device" page now. I entered "yes", and then was back at the login page. I tried again and now I am directly back at the login page. No "Do you trust this device" page anymore.

Cannot login on icloud anymore with verification code.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.