Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie audio to GarageBand?

How do you separate audio from iMovie file and import into GarageBand?

Thanks.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 10:40 AM

If it is audio embedded in a clip, select the clip and do Modify/Detach Audio to separate the audio from the video clip. The audio clip will appear as a separate clip below the time line. Then select the audio clip and do a File/Reveal in Finder. A pop-up folder will appear with the audio clip highlighted. While holding down the Option key, press-drag the highlighted audio clip to your desk top. From there, drag it into a new GarageBand project. If the audio is already a separate clip, like background music, you can follow the same Reveal in Finder procedure.

If you want to separate out all audio from your iMovie project, you can do a Share to File and select the audio only format option from the share box that appears. It will share out to your desktop and from there you can drag it in to GarageBand.

I haven't used GarageBand much, and have an older version on my Mac. I would think you would open GarageBand and do a File/New, or something similar, to create a new project. Then drag your audio track into it from your desktop. The GarageBand help menu should provide you with some guidance there.

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2020 10:40 AM in response to Brmcgne

If it is audio embedded in a clip, select the clip and do Modify/Detach Audio to separate the audio from the video clip. The audio clip will appear as a separate clip below the time line. Then select the audio clip and do a File/Reveal in Finder. A pop-up folder will appear with the audio clip highlighted. While holding down the Option key, press-drag the highlighted audio clip to your desk top. From there, drag it into a new GarageBand project. If the audio is already a separate clip, like background music, you can follow the same Reveal in Finder procedure.

If you want to separate out all audio from your iMovie project, you can do a Share to File and select the audio only format option from the share box that appears. It will share out to your desktop and from there you can drag it in to GarageBand.

I haven't used GarageBand much, and have an older version on my Mac. I would think you would open GarageBand and do a File/New, or something similar, to create a new project. Then drag your audio track into it from your desktop. The GarageBand help menu should provide you with some guidance there.

-- Rich

iMovie audio to GarageBand?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.