Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

step counter not working on iphone

New iPhone SE not counting steps in health app. Have force closed app and restarted iPhone still not counting steps.

iPhone SE

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 8:09 PM

Hey there, Stephen!

Congratulations on your new iPhone SE! I see that you're trying to use the phone to track your steps, but they do not seem to be recording as expected. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described is going on, I'd recommend going through the following steps, checking to see if your phone is recording steps after each:

1. Check for, and install, any available updates for your iPhone: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  2. Make sure that the "Fitness Tracking" and "Health" options are both enabled under Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness
  3. Turn "Fitness Tracking" and "Health" off under Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness, then turn them back on.
  4. Restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support.

If the issue continues after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly, which you can do here: Contact Apple Support.

Have a good day.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 8:09 PM in response to Stephen2414

Hey there, Stephen!

Congratulations on your new iPhone SE! I see that you're trying to use the phone to track your steps, but they do not seem to be recording as expected. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described is going on, I'd recommend going through the following steps, checking to see if your phone is recording steps after each:

1. Check for, and install, any available updates for your iPhone: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  2. Make sure that the "Fitness Tracking" and "Health" options are both enabled under Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness
  3. Turn "Fitness Tracking" and "Health" off under Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness, then turn them back on.
  4. Restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support.

If the issue continues after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly, which you can do here: Contact Apple Support.

Have a good day.

step counter not working on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.