Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping iTunes music library on an external drive in Catalina

I didn't update when OS 10.15 was released because I read that in Catalina iTunes music files now had to be on my MB Pro's hard drive and could not be on the external drive, which is where my 600GB library is currently located. However, I spoke with an Apple Support tech earlier this week who said that isn't true, and he promised to send me instructions on how to set up iTunes on Catalina with the same set up I'm using now. Unfortunately, I didn't receive an e-mail from him so wonder if anyone can direct me to the Apple Help page(s) that describe the process.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 8:57 AM

As with iTunes you can set the path to the media folder that your library is going to use. You can also hold down option when starting Music and choose or create a library to select an existing library to open, or create one at a path of your choice. This method can also be used to open and convert an existing iTunes library, where you will be prompted for where to store the newly converted library. If you're currently running Mojave and upgrade to Catalina Music should convert your library on first launch and inherit the current path to your media folder.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2020 8:57 AM in response to Alex Machi

As with iTunes you can set the path to the media folder that your library is going to use. You can also hold down option when starting Music and choose or create a library to select an existing library to open, or create one at a path of your choice. This method can also be used to open and convert an existing iTunes library, where you will be prompted for where to store the newly converted library. If you're currently running Mojave and upgrade to Catalina Music should convert your library on first launch and inherit the current path to your media folder.

tt2

Keeping iTunes music library on an external drive in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.