Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I rename "Macintosh HD - Data" disk icon on desktop to something less generic?

this is a rather generic name for the data volume so can I rename. I assume I can but Catalina a bit different than previous mac OS's and I just had to start using with a new Mac.

thanks

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 11:25 AM

Yes, CCC will display both volumes. APFS is an option in Mojave but not in Catalina. The Data volume shows up in Mojave because Mojave does not keep the Data volume invisible as it does in Catalina. This was due to the fact that Mojave was not fully converted for APFS.

Open Disk Utility which will display both volumes in one container. Select the volume whose name should appear in the Disk Utility window at the top. Double-click on the name in order to make the change. If you change the name of the startup volume, then the Data volume's name should change also. This is in Catalina. I haven't tried it in Mojave.

There is always a problem with File Sharing where all users may have the same volume names. However odd that may appear on screen, the OS knows which is which ......, usually. For only one additional volume, a different icon is used for the shared volume when it is mounted. This would distinguish it from the server volume.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2020 11:25 AM in response to Alf2001

Yes, CCC will display both volumes. APFS is an option in Mojave but not in Catalina. The Data volume shows up in Mojave because Mojave does not keep the Data volume invisible as it does in Catalina. This was due to the fact that Mojave was not fully converted for APFS.

Open Disk Utility which will display both volumes in one container. Select the volume whose name should appear in the Disk Utility window at the top. Double-click on the name in order to make the change. If you change the name of the startup volume, then the Data volume's name should change also. This is in Catalina. I haven't tried it in Mojave.

There is always a problem with File Sharing where all users may have the same volume names. However odd that may appear on screen, the OS knows which is which ......, usually. For only one additional volume, a different icon is used for the shared volume when it is mounted. This would distinguish it from the server volume.

Jun 12, 2020 10:20 AM in response to Alf2001

That folder should be invisible if you are running Catalina. The APFS filesystem uses a multi-volume configuration in which only the main volume, say, "Macintosh HD" is visible on the Desktop. "Macintosh HD - Data" is a naming convention that helps identify to which startup volume the Data volume belongs. If you change the name of one, then at some point the OS may get confused. Sticking to the naming convention just helps keep things working smoothly. So, with that in mind, please do not change the name of one of the pair without changing the other, appropriately.

That said, are you seeing both volumes on your Desktop? If you are, what if any changes have you made on your new Mac?

Jun 12, 2020 10:52 AM in response to Kappy

You're correct but I partitioned disk and used Carbon Copy Cloner, which worked fine, to clone my original Mojave macOS disk from old Mac (same model) in the second partition. In Mojave "Macintosh HD - Data" showed up. So I renamed with something more descriptive and probably confused 'things' a bit, since when I restarted in Catalina, some system files (Thumbs.db and desktop.ini as well as folder $RECYCLE.BIN) appeared on my user desktop. Probably safest to put back original names and just unmount when using Mojave.

Of course for filesharing in Catalina, the name "Macintosh HD" could be a bit confusing if multiple Macs running Catalina all have the same name and are connected by filesharing ?

can I rename "Macintosh HD - Data" disk icon on desktop to something less generic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.